Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The high octane phono preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2018, 03:51 PM   #581
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPe View Post
2) Below app 17Hz the noise is defined by Q1 and R8. Further it get accentuated by the resonance mentioned earlier. You can't hear this, but if you but finger on the woofer, you most likely will feel it if the volume is set at "realistic" level - whatever that is.
Below 17Hz the cartridge itself is flapping around all over the place anyway!
Old 1st March 2018, 04:11 PM   #582
Destroyer OS is offline Destroyer OS  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok not a $1k but...

Four of these... at 1.3"x2.3" (33mmx59mm) That is a lot of real estate. The 1uf is only .66"x1.3" (16.8mmx33mm). It's already off board....

If you have to go to 10uf then maybe another thought needs to come about, like jfets to shrink the caps.
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:12 PM   #583
msdin is offline msdin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi fellow RIAAlists

AC Performance:
I general it performs quite well with except maybe above 10kHz, where the output rises. Otherwise very nice.
Try adding a capacitor with a value between 4.7nF 10nF across the 2K7 resistor in the feedback.
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:39 AM   #584
LLPe is offline LLPe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Your'e absolutely right, I've only changed what I felt neccessary .
I guess the 2k7 resistor where put in in order to increase the gain. Maybe you could remove it all together. Apart from lowering the gain, the distortion should go down a bit as well. Only issue could be stability.
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:50 AM   #585
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Interesting work. BTW You can realistically simulate the 2N2540 current source by an ideal current source with some parallel resistance of a few Megohm.

When you mention a cap of value 2m2 are you really meaning 2200uF or should that actually be 2u2?

Jan
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:37 AM   #586
LLPe is offline LLPe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I do mean 2200uF (in stead of the original 1000uF)

Lars
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:15 AM   #587
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do mean 2200uF (in stead of the original 1000uF)

Lars
Ahh, clear. Some people wrongly use m for micro instead of for milli so not always clear.

Jan

The high octane phono preampHide this!Advertise here!