Any new technique for transfering LP's to CD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The last time I did an LP to CD transfer was 10 years ago. The tunrtable is a handnedown and stored in a box.

At the time I used Goldwave Line In via an old cheap RS amp that had phono input. My SS amp in use today does not have the needed phono input.

Simply put, what would I need to do a limited number of LP's with free software plus Goldwave which I have owned for a long time? A phono preamp of some type is needed but for me it'd be a needle in a haystack search to find the minimal item. I remember that a good one was sold as a kit and featured in Speakerbuilder magazine. But I know no electronics.

Back then even in GW there was nothing to detect silences between tracks to start a new track that worked well.

That catches me up on what is needed.

The Goldwave equalizer has a RIAA curve preset. You could record the LP direct from the turntable and then apply the EQ to the wave file.
As for detecting between-track silence, you can do it manually without much hassle. If you record the album side, the tracks are noticeable. Use Shift-up arrow (for horizontal) and Control-up arrow (for vertical) to zoom in to the gap and set a marker at the appropriate place.
If you need more help don't hesitate to ask.

Then there's no one button solution like they claim for those LP/cd combos they sell in the retail stores?

It sounds similar to the process I did previously.

As to hardware what is needed? I recall seeing (when not actively pursuing this) that pro audio equipment shows a small box for hooking up a turntable-- a phono 'adapter' maybe. It was a brand that had a lot of these dongles for bands. I'm still testing the waters on this. I'd prefer to buy the CD (natch) but for some reason this item is missing from an artist who has a long career. The LP turned up on Amazon when I looked recently.

over the past twenty years or so, I have converted quite a few and haven't found the available methods to have changed very much.
I got one of those ION usb turntables for xmas as a gift a few years ago and while I find the table itself to be junk, it did work. The software was easy enough to use. cheap ($69?), easy, the table itself might be no worse than your hand-me-down table. just a thought.
My version of Goldwave doesn't have the RIAA eq in it (might be a plug-in?) but if yours does, I might go in that direction. Simple turntable-to-soundcard interconnect and off you go.
The DIY solution is to build one of the phono sections talked about on this forum. Pull out that old table and see if it can be tweaked. Have some fun with the project :)

A few years ago I used Audacity to record some cassette tapes to see how it works. Essentially the same process as described - there was no silence-finding tool that I could find. Picking the silence by zooming in was pretty easy.

I would think you would want a preamp for better signal to noise ratio.

You can find preamp boards on eBay for not much money. There's one that appears to be a clone of the Hagtech Bugle (search for RIAA OPA2134) for about $25. You could power it from a couple of 9V batteries.

If your budget stretched higher, the ART Phono USB device looks good; it provides S/PDIF and line level I/O, and a headphone output as well. You might find one in stock at a big box music store, and a terrible person might just use it transfer a few records then return it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.