My new Bamboo Turntable. Nearly there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

Been busy with my upcoming turntable. I´ve been dreaming of building a bamboo model instead of my old in MDF. Theres still some ajusting to do.

Still need to be done.
Plane platter top and buttom. (Theres slight imperfections)
VTA is crazy of! Need to modify my arm rest.
Rear end stub ordered. Steel model.
Diy weight rapped in nice bamboo.
Then at last it´s gonna soke in lemon oil..

And pics.

DSC09207.JPG

DSC09208.JPG

DSC09209.JPG

DSC09210.JPG

DSC09211.JPG

DSC09212.JPG

DSC09214.JPG

DSC09215.JPG

DSC09217.JPG

DSC09218.JPG

Spikes are DIY aswell. Solid oak and painted black.

I love it, and looking forward to play some music. :D

Last edited:
interesting project.

Note, lemon oil will be very corrosive to metals and some plastics, most essential oils are. I tested about a dozen on a piece of polystyrene, and most of them went right through, very quickly!!! :mad:

I'd stick to Danish Oil, or anything with Tung oil in.:)

I'd also consider using sorbothane feet instead of the hard oak cones.

Last edited:
Wow thanks cats squirrel! Thanks for sharing that. God! Guess lemon oil is now of my purchase list. I´ll find something other nice oil stuff then. :)
Your right about the sarbothane. I have some i bought for the same some time ago. My plan was putting it under though.

And thanks Jacques. ;)

Thanks guys! I´ll post more pictures as i move forward in the build.
The platter was really hard to build. The precision needed is just crazy. It has about 0,4 mm off if i hold a square to the side of the platter while running. I dont think i can get mutch closer than this.
I hope it is possible for me to balance it some how. Dont really no how at the moment.
Motor and drive is from a Micro Seiki Solid 1 TT and the tonearm is a humble RB251 with Ortofon 2M red catridge. Still needs rewire.
I just ordered the Oatley electronics K301 witch I´ll make a matching bamboo cabinet.
I´m very exited about this build, and i´m looking forward to test it.

Any now if its possible getting a VTA adjuster for the RB251?

Small update.

Ive been busy building a wooden lathe. It came up pretty good, and I´m looking forward to try it out. I´ts still missing some bearings bought on Ebay. The plan is to make the last finnish on the platter. hoping to get it nearly perfect round and centered.

DSC_0711.jpg

Then yesterday my table router desited to bond with my finger! My finger didnt like the table router. Must say i was very lucky this time, as i still got all feeling left in the finger. It looked very bad, and nearly split my finger in two horisontal pieces!
This is how it looks at the moment. So unfortunetly this calls for a brake.

DSC_0718.jpg

I´ll return when my finger starts having some good days again. ;)

Some very nice though. Just recieved my upcoming Otley electronics K301 phono stage. I will try to solder this dispite my handycap. :cheeky:

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:
A humble thanks to you Jacques.
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

I´m getting better every day.

ffivaz: I´ts a standard Micro Seiki Solid One beltdrive. I took the org. platter and cut the sides away. Then i fitted it inside the bottom of my new bamboo platter.
This is the only picture i have of the plinth without the motor. You can just see the motor in the back.
I will take some more pictures when I´m ready for work again.

2013-09-005.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.