Decca DPS8: Motor Issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been restoring a mid-50s Decca DPS8 turntable for a friend, and I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most frustrating jobs I've taken on.

Every relevant component (electrolytics, tubes, speaker) has been replaced, the motor disassembled and relubed, motor mounts replaced. But speed is erratic, and the motor runs very hot.

I saw that the motor was rated "90V, 60Hz" and as an experiment, I subbed in an identical motor (but rated 117V).

Still runs hot, and eventually erratically.

I'm going to try dropping resistors on the motor circuit, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark. Does anyone with an education have a better suggestion?

Many thanks,
Seth

I believe it is a synchronous motor; speed change is effected by altering the position of the idler wheel against the stepped capstan.

After further testing, I found that both motors run quite hot outside the turntable (both run off a variac at correct voltage, and removed from the mounting plate so as to remove that as a culprit).

So I'm going on the assumption that both are, to put it unscientifically, fried. I'm sad, as the 117V motor was a spare, and I believe was strong. For that matter, the 90V motor seemed strong when I first serviced the turntable. I can't think of anything that I did to change this, but evidence suggests otherwise.

Sadly, at this point, I think the turntable is junk.

Many thanks,
Seth

Yes, the motors (both the 90V and 117V models) spin fine. But after 10 - 15 minutes powered up, they are both very hot.

When I disassembled them initially, I cleaned the shafts with a clean rag, then poured a few drops of sewing machine oil into the felt surrounding the plain bronze bearings.

Kevin, thanks for the pointer. I am poring through that very long, but very informative thread now!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.