Signal Capacitor in small sizes for MC pre pre Head Amp (between Cartridge and Input)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By a JC1-DC and others with not DC coupled input I get the best results with electrolytic capacitors like that:
http://www.audiokit.it/ITAENG/Condensatori/ExStock/Electrol/Dcp_3661-1.jpg
and an additional bypass like that:
http://www.knevigar.de/bay/foko/mks/22u-63.jpg
or that:
http://www.igi.at/en/elektronik.htm
(second image).
What I must choose for similar acoustical results in small sizes ?

Typicall available electrolytic parts with 3VDC, 6VDC and 16VDC are usually not satisfactory in respect of the sound quality, maybe cause higher values for ESR and/or more sensitivity for microfonic effects.

Thank you for advices.

Last edited:
ARC used to use high value (150 uF?) tantalums at the input to their phono stage, a much higher value than theory says is needed for response. In theory, as long as no audio signal voltage is developed across the cap, it shouldn't affect the sound, thus the high value. I'm not sure how small a residual signal matters, but I don't like tant caps in the signal path. My preference is a good aluminum electrolytic, maybe a Silmic II, but choose a higher voltage type, say 25-50 VDC because that will get you a lower dissipation factor than the 6.3 volt types often chosen. Last time I checked an OS-CON I thought it wasn't the best choice for audio, but I should probably check them again. I can't usually use them because the voltage ratings aren't high enough for my circuits.

BTW, I'm somewhat wary of large caps on phono inputs because I can imagine scenarios where the cap can be charged and dump through the cartridge, destroying it. All depends on the circuit design and impedances on the other side of the cap.

Last edited:
Using an electrolytic at an MC input, especially a common base one is simply a defective design, a crime against expensive carts. As much as i don't like bipolar transistor inputs, for fear of unbalanced dc through the coils, huge electrolytic caps are equally problematic, as they are all very likely do develop a leak. If not today, then maybe in a few years.

Sonic-wise, this must be the worst place for a huge cap. I would rather have it at speakers outputs.

Sorry, for the rant - i clearly have no suggestions other than the trash can.

Using an electrolytic at an MC input, especially a common base one is simply a defective design, a crime against expensive carts. As much as i don't like bipolar transistor inputs, for fear of unbalanced dc through the coils, huge electrolytic caps are equally problematic, as they are all very likely do develop a leak. If not today, then maybe in a few years.

Sonic-wise, this must be the worst place for a huge cap. I would rather have it at speakers outputs.

Sorry, for the rant - i clearly have no suggestions other than the trash can.
The JC1-DC (schematic anywhere here as PDF from me uploaded several years ago) uses caps as serial device in the signal path - without your mentioned effects until today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.