Integrating Bugle2 PSU into preamp design (also Aikido 12VAC and Gainclone) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2013, 01:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Integrating Bugle2 PSU into preamp design (also Aikido 12VAC and Gainclone)

I have been tasked by the Mrs to consolidate my separates in the living room and so, rather than buying a commercial integrated, this strikes me as a particularly good excuse for some DIY fun. Here's what I'd ideally like to do in a single enclosure (constructing in stages):
  • Aikido 12VAC preamp board (stage 1)
  • Bugle2 phono preamp (stage 2)
  • Gainclone LM3875 amp (stage 3)

I'm confident enough in my ability to build the Aikido, so my question doesn't pertain to that exactly. I'm trying to figure out the best way to integrate the PSU for the Bugle2 into my enclosure. From what I've read, it ships with a 24 DC wall wart. I'd prefer to go the torroidal route with the Aikido PSU (which can also run off a wall wart), so does anyone have any advice on how to construct a single PSU to 'rule them all'?

I could use both the wall wart for the Aikido and the Bugle2 and hardwire them into the enclosure or just plug them into the wall, but that just isn't elegant enough for my tastes. And this is DIY, isn't it?

This is a smallish enclosure (12" x 8") and the boards/designs were chosen for their footprint to SQ ratio. My goal is hence to limit the number of transformers and power supplies as well, without handicapping the sound.

My questions, essentially:
Is the enclosure going to be too small for the Aikido/Bugle2/Gainclone and their individual power supplies?
If not, is it possible to construct a single power supply without too much trouble or would it be better to keep each component's power supply isolated?
If the former, any advice on how to proceed or suggested supplies?

Thanks, DIYaudio! Long time reader, this may have been my first post (can't actually remember).
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The very similar older original Bugle had a nice linear power supply.

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html#powersupply

Searching further, I don't see the AC linear supply, only the battery supply.
Let me check my old notes.

Last edited by Speedskater; 23rd August 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Old Bugle AC power supply:

Hagerman Technology LLC: Bugle Phono
Old 25th August 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link, Speedskater! I actually have a Bugle 1 with PSU as well and was looking in to whether it could be used.

I read somewhere that it would be possible to use the original power supply by removing the rail splitter chip (actually that was Jim himself on Audio Circle). I'm guessing that's the TLE2426 on the new board that runs off of the wall wart? Could I just take the +/-15V on the old PSU and run that to VCC and VEE on the new board?

Here's the schematics if anyone would be so kind as to take a look:

Old PSU
New PSU and schematic (2nd to last page of pdf)
Old 26th August 2013, 04:11 AM   #5
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, you should be able to. You will also need to run ground from the PSU to the Bugle. Yes, the TLE is the rail splitter.

I would ask Jim H. if the Bugle 2 will be happy seeing 15V. I bet it will be fine, but you might as well ask.
Old 27th August 2013, 03:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bugle PS -- The Missing Manual
Bugle PS -- The Missing Manual

BUGLE2
BUGLE2

Hide this!Advertise here!