Why no moving iron cartridges?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cheers.gif

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny I went from a wood body Grado Platinum Reference on SME S-2 head shell to a ZU Denon DL-103 on an Orsonic and thought the differences were staggeringly in favor of the ZU.. This was on an SME 3009 Series II (unimproved) arm.

Arm choice does play a big role, the Grado was never happy on the SME and consequently I was unhappy with it. Oddly enough everyone told me this was a combination that should work, it tracked very well, just was otherwise unremarkable, and made everything sound very bland.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
arm weight requirement is key to getting the denon to work

How about on a Linn Basik? Trying to compare vinyl setups is a very difficult and subjective.

Tried the Denon on two completely different arms. The Denon sounded good on both, but didn't have the weight of the Grado. The Grado didn't have the extended, delicate highs of the Denon. The Grado is a lower-end model at half the list price of the Denon.
The Grado was just more exciting to me. More fun.

Anyway, the question was about MIs, and I felt that MI carts sounded real good.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.