The simple AR Turntable challenge - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The simple AR Turntable challenge

Remember the AR turntable? It was simple, low cost, and very effective. For those of you with time on your hands here is the challenge. Make your own turntable (DIY) with parts cost less than $1000.00 As simple as you want to make it. The turntable does not have to be great, just good. What can you come up with?
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

bought a Technics SL-5210 for 15€ at ebay, pimped it with a new plinth, hood, power supply and a Rega RB300 and serviced the electronics.
Costed me way less than 1.000€ and is without doubt a player one can be happy with

jauu
Calvin

Ps. The player is of course not just good , but grrrreat
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had an AR turntable in 1970, a 1961 production model. When i walked around the wood floor in my Jim Walters home, the needle would bounce around on the record. This was with a Grado FTE cartridge at 1.5 g. The home had 10" floor joists on 12" centers, pretty stout floor I would think. I bought a US made BIC 940 changer in 1979; it worked a lot better, including passing the walk around test. I sold the AR in 1981. The BIC still works with the original belt (although it is due I am sure). I use it probably >500 plays a year now that I am not working. Using 1.5 g on a 1981Shure M97 Era IV cartridge. Found another BIC at a yard sale last year for $25. Worth every penny.
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Albert Einstein said make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. I would love to see your simple low cost turntables.
Old 22nd July 2013, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Calvin,
Regarding the Technics SL-1200/SL-1210 since 1972 more than 3 million units have been sold! It is regarded as one of the most durable and reliable turntables ever. For your next project can you rebuild or mod somebody's Technics SL-1210 turntable? Your Technics mod is awesome.
Old 23rd July 2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I put a description of the MyTechnics project on my website and could maybe offer some assistance.
Basically any DD-Technics may be used for a similar modification, though most mods seem to rely on the SP-10 series.
The SL-1200/1210 can be used as donor the same way I did. I certainly would not opt for a SL-1200/1210 due to overhyped price tags, their quite often worn-out condition and more features than one needs.
Instead the rather less popular linear trackers or T4P-armed models are just as well suited and are typically better bepriced.
The differences between the models and over the years seem only to be the PCBs, i.e the chipset. The motor-bearing assembly looks to be the same throughout.
At vinylengine et al one can find service manuals and infos and other projects with Technics donors.
Afaik only three revisions of Chipsets had been employed. Starting with discrete devices as in the SP-10 and SP-10MKii, a 3-Ic Chipset followed.
A SP-15 relies for example on exactly the same 3-Chip Chipset as the SL-53xx. The SL-1300...1500MKii rely at least on two of the same Chips, just using a different Freq-generator-IC.
With later models Technics changed to a 2-IC Chipset and µController.
So there´s alot of Info around to help for repair/tuning/tweaking of old Technics-DDs. Just choose one and start building.

jauu
Calvin

ps. since the famous S-shaped arm features a quite nice bearing assembly, but a rather inadeqate arm tube, one could think of tweaking the arm with a better arm wand .
Old 24th July 2013, 02:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
Albert Einstein said make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. I would love to see your simple low cost turntables.
I agree.

Here's my entry. Complete DIY table. For comparison, I own an AR "The Turntable" from the '80, with Linn Basik tone arm. Table was from the UK with 50hz motor. A replacement 60Hz cost $200.

My Turntable - My Photo Gallery

Cost:

$250- platter and bearing
$50- plinth
$5- wand
$25- pivot mount
$20- pulley (DIY)
$5- counter weight
$60- motor (new from Hurst)
$75- amp (new, for driving 60hz signal)
Free- queue lift (from pen clip)
_____
$490

Does not include cart and MP3 player for 33.3hz and 45hz signals.

Let's just say I have no urge to put the AR back in the system.
I'm not even finished with this thing yet.

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 24th July 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 30th July 2013, 01:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

vdi_nenna,
Good job on your DIY turntable. Will you make a better or more expensive turntable?
Old 30th July 2013, 02:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here is one the Altmann diy turntable. There is also the U Turn Audio Orbit.
SPEC+AP-50 turntable looks like a Technics Sl1200mk2.
Old 30th July 2013, 02:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostar View Post
vdi_nenna,
Good job on your DIY turntable. Will you make a better or more expensive turntable?
Yes, having my brother machine a bigger platter and bearing, but I'll need help designing it.

Hide this!Advertise here!