Need advice on Dual 505-2 cartridge and preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just "inherited" a Dual 505-2 TT with Ortofon X1-MC cartridge. I plan to connect it to an A/V workstation PC, and would like to know if it would be better, in terms of (possible) poor quality of the existing cartridge, or better signal strength of a MM cart, to ditch the Ortofon and replace it with a MM cart?
The choice of cartridge will influence the choice of phono amp between turntable and PC.

I've looked at the TerraTec DMX6Fire, and the STAudio Media 7.1 as possible all-in-one PC solutions. Both handle a MM signal, but as far as I know don't handle a MC signal.

I've also looked at the NAD PP2 & Project PhonoBox (both handle a MC signal) as a connection to an RCA-equipped PC solution (like those above), but am by no means settled on either.

I need advice on whether getting rid of the MC cartridge is worth it overall, and what some good MM options would be. I'm looking in what most of you will consider the budget range, but all suggestions are most welcome.

m

The X1-MC is a high output moving coil, you treat as though
its a moving magnet design in terms of the pre-amp used.

Its far too good for the arm on the Dual. But whether a cheaper
cartridge that suits the arm will sound better is a moot point.
If the X1-MC stylus is worn out it certainly will.
If the stylus is OK you may as well leave it in the Dual.

I don't know the merits of all the budget cartridges out there,
but you won't go far wrong fitting an Ortofon 510 (£34).
Anything more expensive is not justifiable IMO.

:) /sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.