rega exact heavy distortion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default rega exact heavy distortion

greetings
I recently purchased a Rega Rp6 with the exact cartridge. first day it sounded fantastic but then came the distortion. Sometime the distortion would be only heard on voices then other times it was so distorted the music was barley audible. this happened completely at random and on all vinyls. sometimes it could be fixed by lifting the tonearm and then lowering again but i know this is not normal. I have re aligned the cart with two different protractors twice on both with the same problems. i have set and reset the anti skate and tracking force. is there any chance i have received a faulty cart? also if this is in fact a bad cart what are the chances of actually getting a replacement without being accused of damaging the cart myself? please note i had no problems with my Dual 601/ADC QLM mkiii combo.
thankyou in advance
Old 20th July 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You do not state if the distortion is one channel or both. If the distortion is consistently in both channels than I would look more to something with the tonearm. Specifically anything that may be hindering the tone arm from moving freely.

Check to make sure that your cuing mechanism is going down fully so that the arm tube is not bumping or rubbing it when playing.
Old 21st July 2013, 05:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thankyou for your reply.
distortion is on both channels. the cuing mechanism goes fully down also. i was also playing with the weight and found the problem goes away when tracked at 2.30g which is well over the recommended 1.75g i have also tried multiple phono inputs with the same results.... very frustrating but the end result im sure will be worth the effort.
thankyou again
Old 21st July 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Sounds like either you have sticky bearings or the suspension in the cart has gone. Swap it out with another cart to find out which.
Old 21st July 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am calling the hifi dealer tomorrow to ask about a replacement because reading a thread on vinyl engine i found just a moment ago described the exact symptoms i was having.
Turntable Forum • RP6/Exact Intermittent Distortion

Hide this!Advertise here!