Another Technics SL-1200 mkll turntable mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought I went overboard with my 1200.
The JKWynn is unbelievable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.1 KB · Views: 716
Thanks audiostar.
This was my progression:
Started modding a very clean stock 1200. Added strobe disabler, dc rectifier and sorbothane feet from KAB. Also tonearm rewire and damping.

Then got a great deal on a Nottingham Interspace SE (seen in background).
1200 sat idle for a very long time.

Then a Clearaudio Stradivari cartridge came my way and I picked up a 12" Nottingham arm and built an arm pod for it.

Next I started plotting a complete custom build starting with a VPI Classic platter and bearing.

Seeing all my spare parts together, I got the crazy idea to sit and center the VPI platter on the 1200 platter (cork/rubber mat between), turn the 12" Nottingham arm to the proper spindle to pivot distance and voila!
I was actually shocked to hear how incredible it sounds.

I've only lived with it for a few weeks and I'm a little concerned that the Technics bearing can't handle the weight.
Bearing upgrade may be the next step.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 505
Voicecoil,

Are you considering the Mike New bearing? An effective upgrade is an external power supply offered by many. I am sure you can't go wrong with one by davefl from
Landfall Systems. The details are in the thread Technics SL1200 internal brackets, regulator and external power supply.

Definitely considering the Mike New bearing. A little expensive though.
I may try to mod/upgrade the stock bearing. Many seem to have had success with that.

I mostly agree with Tattoo that the stock 1200 arm is the weakest link.
The arm tube stinks. Very thin and resonant. Stock tonearm wire/pcb are nothing special either.
The arm bearing system is IMO very good. Damping the armtube and a rewire will yield noticeable improvements (and increase arm mass so check cart compliance).
You can also go the Funk Firm route and change the armtube completely.

...or replace the tonearm. I like the Jelco 750d on the 1200.

Next biggest improvement I found was damping the "ringy" platter with platter mats. I found the copper and aluminum ones best, then rigid graphite composite. Even 1/4" thick cork was very good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.