Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Ned G is offline Ned G  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default No anti skating dial... help!

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to get an old record player going again, this morning a new drive belt arrived and I thought I'd finally got it working, however the records keeps skating.

I tried to adjust the anti skating, but I can't find a dial anywhere. So a) where are the places that the dial could be hiding, b) can I adjust it by opening up the player, if I do what should I look for? c) if I can't adjust it, is there a way of hacking it that works for anyone, say, gluing a spring to the record arm?

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't know if this is useful but the record player is on a 3 in 1 cassette/radio/phonograph made by a company called Minerva, I guess in the 70s. Model is RST 300.
Old 5th July 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
willamp is offline willamp  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you tried increasing the vertical tracking force? Do you know what force you have it set at now? If going up to 2.5 grams doesn't resolve the skating you could have a bad stylus. I have seen a broken one cause skating issues before.

Is this a picture of what you have?

This link seems to have new stylus's for it if you suspect that.
MINERVA RST-300, GRUNDIG

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minerva.jpg (23.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 5th July 2013, 03:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep, that picture is exactly what I've got. Yeah, I've tried increasing the force, I don't have a way of measuring it so I'm not sure, but a penny and a big blob of blu tack didn't do the job so I guess that's over 2.5g.
Old 5th July 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Does it skate in or out?
Old 5th July 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your tt may not have anti skate. My Pioneer PL-41 doesn't. Not that it solves your problem.

I made a SME style anti skate weight for my DIY arm. It works like a charm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040374.jpg (231.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 5th July 2013, 05:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

The record skates inwards. That SME design looks good, I think I'll try and put one together tomorrow, and I probably should but a new stylus too. I've been holding out on it because I couldn't find an exact replacement (so thanks willamp!) and didn't want to spend $$ if the machine was busted, but it's so close to working now!
Old 6th July 2013, 01:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The opposite of the anti-skate spring is the platter tilt. Try putting coins under side the side it skates to, until it stops. My wood table has wobbly legs; I wondered why the anti skate setting needed moving around until I put carboard under the legs and got it stable.

Hide this!Advertise here!