1st Diy Turntable - Help me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I've decided to start a diy project and build myself a better turntable than the US$35 one I own. It's a all-in-one 4x1 stereo system (turntable+cd+radio+tape) from the 90s I believe, here from Brazil. Very low-average quality, so I need a better one. I am a newbie both in electronics and analog audio, so please be patient with me :p.

I need help to find parts for it, since I don't know much about the subject. I have been reading a lot lately, but I can't find a place which tells me exactly I should be looking for in a motor, tonearm, pulley, bearings, cartridge etc.

Can anyone here give me some help?

I want it to be:
-Belt-driven
-Cheap tonearm if possible, regular moving magnet cartridge, maybe p-mount.
-33 1/3 rpm only. Maybe 45 if it's not too hard to do.
-Kinda cheap if possible, since it's my first project. I don't need cheapest possible, but let's keep at the "average hi-fi" style :p.
-Acrylic platter, I think. So far, from what I've read, it seems to be the best material for it.
-Plywood plinth

I think I will probably be using eBay and AliExpress to buy the parts since those places are cheap and offer lots of varieties and ship to my country.

Anything else, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet will be to buy a used Rega and upgrade the platter, tonearm and plinth,
Easy to do and the results will be very worthwhile.
An old Planar 2 with the MDF platter and RB250 or better still a Planar 3 with the RB300.
You can swap the platter for an Acrylic one
Raise the tonearm to suit or an adjustable VTA
Rewire the tonearm
Fit a different counterweight
Keep the plinth and add a sub base or different feet or make a new plinth.
The cartridge can be whatever suits the arm and the phono stage you have..

Your best bet will be to buy a used Rega and upgrade the platter, tonearm and plinth,
Easy to do and the results will be very worthwhile.
An old Planar 2 with the MDF platter and RB250 or better still a Planar 3 with the RB300.
You can swap the platter for an Acrylic one
Raise the tonearm to suit or an adjustable VTA
Rewire the tonearm
Fit a different counterweight
Keep the plinth and add a sub base or different feet or make a new plinth.
The cartridge can be whatever suits the arm and the phono stage you have..

I'm afraid I won't be able to buy a used Rega here. All I could find were new ones and they are pretty expensive. I didn't even find any of the models you mentioned!

For this first diy turntable I am willing to trade quality for cheaper parts. Let's say I just want it to work at first :p! Later on I will do a new one.:D

Really, even if it's "them cheap chinese parts", and quality is not their goal.

I've read about the Altmann Diy Turntable but wasn't able to find the parts and a place that ships to Brazil:confused:. Can you help me?

Thank you.

There is no way to build a cheap turntable, there are no cheap Chinese parts. To build from scratch require a very expensive bearing and it goes up from there. Your best bet would to find a good old turntable on eBay and mod it.

I'm afraid I won't be able to buy a used Rega here. All I could find were new ones and they are pretty expensive. I didn't even find any of the models you mentioned!

For this first diy turntable I am willing to trade quality for cheaper parts. Let's say I just want it to work at first :p! Later on I will do a new one.:D

Really, even if it's "them cheap chinese parts", and quality is not their goal.

I've read about the Altmann Diy Turntable but wasn't able to find the parts and a place that ships to Brazil:confused:. Can you help me?

Thank you.

There is no way to build a cheap turntable, there are no cheap Chinese parts. To build from scratch require a very expensive bearing and it goes up from there. Your best bet would to find a good old turntable on eBay and mod it.

Hello mr. wirewiggler,

Any tips on how to start? I mean, how much do you think it might cost me? I'm willing to pay US$200-300 for my first project... Is it possible with that amount of money?

I think I'll be doing it based on the Altmann DIY turntable (The Altmann DIY Turntable).

Any suggestions?

Excuse-me for quoting again and for being extremely noob about the subject, but...

Is this the kind of thing I need to put in the center (and below) the platter in order for it to spin? That's called the "bearing + shaft" right?

Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping/Customized for Linear Machine/Shaft/8mm/Linear Rod/Cnc Lathe/Diy Machine/Axis Shaft/Paint Roller/Cnc/Gear from Reliable linear machine suppliers on BRIGHT HOLDING GROUP LIMITED

You see, I'm pretty new to analog audio so this is all new to me.

Some questions ; What tools ,machines do you have or have acces to ?
what materials can you get/do you want to use ?
How are your skills, can you operate your machines ?

Can your machines handle the materials ,size ,wieght safely ?
Is outscourcing possible ?

To build a turntable from scratch you need a lathe and a milling machine for the bearing ,the platter and some of the plinth .
If you can do the machining yourself it is possible to reduce the costs.
Smart sourcing your materials can drastically reduce costs think reuse/recycle, visit scrapyard .

I build mine over time using scap/found materials .
Materials used : titanium plate 17 mm for frame
ring under platter
25 mm rod for bearing
Stainless steel big offcut used for bearing sleeve
"balls" for feet
Plexiglass 50 mm plate for platter (gift from my dad)
30 mm plate used under frame
teflon main bearing
Ceramic ball bearing various sizes used in bearing and feet
Slate for support came from a broken pooltable
All material unless stated came from scrapyard.

All off this plus a lot of time became( see attachment)
And yes it sounds nice .
Regards F.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 254
Sorry so slow on the reply, I have my diy turntable about 1/3 built. I ran a Teres group by on the main bearing a few years back, I think they were about $200. The platter I made was from thick sheets phenolic board glued together with locktite black max 380, about $200 in materials for that. motor and controller was Mark Kelly's controller with a maxim motor can't remember what I have there . Now we need a plinth, it will be 2 pieces water-jet cut slate with an aluminum core. Then for tone arm no clue yet. I have been stalled on this projects since I moved a year back. DIYI hifi supply still sells some parts
Turntable Components

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.