Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2013, 04:35 PM   #11
PKI is offline PKI  United States
diyAudio Member

I just found this tread, nice job! I am a huge fan of 1200, its is so irrational, but it is maybe one of my fav tables of all times :-)
Old 10th July 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

There is nothing irrational about liking a turntable that was made for audiophiles at the height of the LP era.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:07 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khom View Post
I changed power regulator to classical LM317 circuit as a first step of PSU upgrade, it very simple and took 1 hour.
Khom - Do you by chance have any more photos or a sketch of your perfboard layout you used for the 317 circuit? I would love to make one just like that.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

6L6,
Check out the K-multiplier on the forum. I have read that with LM317 in front it is quite nice.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Khom is offline Khom  Belarus
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Khom - Do you by chance have any more photos or a sketch of your perfboard layout you used for the 317 circuit? I would love to make one just like that.
Yes, of course. See attached photos:
1. Schematic. It's simple datasheet schematic calculated to 20V output DC.
2. and 3. Top and bottom of board, all connections made by parts leads and some additional wires. I didn't created printed board. To connect you can use old YELLOW and ORANGE wires (J1 and J3 - see original schematic 4.), ground wire (BLACK on my pictures) should be added and connected into Tech PCB in any suitable place near power regilator. Do not forget to isolate LM317 from chassis (I used thin mica strip)!

However I still think that the best power solution for Technics is combine of an external PSU with transformer and improved internal regulator like this or something similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSU_schematic.jpg (107.3 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg PSU_top.jpg (354.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg PSU_Bottom.jpg (339.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: png Reg.png (18.3 KB, 276 views)
Old 3rd August 2013, 04:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Kohm - Thank you for the photos! I'm only now just seeing them, I wish I would have checked back sooner.

Mine was done point to point and is not very pretty. (Hence the liberal use of heatshrink...)

See the top post for new photos.
Old 3rd August 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

great ( both tutorials )

I done something similar some 15 years ago , with my (then ) best turntable SL1400 (that one with all things digital and buttons)

after , it was double heavy , even with xformer removed
Old 9th October 2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Dimitris
diyAudio Member

I just found that thread...

It will be tested very shortly
Old 9th October 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
I just found that thread...

It will be tested very shortly
Great!

There is lots more activity on this thread at Art of Sound, a few people have already done this mod with great results --

SL-1200 DC Power Supply DIY

And if you are interested in more mods to the Technics, I was astounded at how much difference changing the tonearm wires made (I am not a cable guy, but this is incredible...) --

Rewiring SL-1200 Tonearm
Old 9th October 2013, 03:29 PM   #20
Dimitris
diyAudio Member

Yep I have changed my cabling to single run from cartridge to RCA with cardas litz about 2 years ago and never looked back.

But these days I am flirting with the idea of trying a medical grade twinax silver cable I am currently using as interconnect with excellent results...

Edit: I just checked your other thread.

Advice for your next step in wiring. Lose the pcb and run a single run of litz from the headshell to the RCAs. And if you use only one cartridge, I would also advise removing the pins from the arm's end and headshell so that there are nice holes there, and run a single run from cartridge to the RCAs.

Last edited by dimkasta; 9th October 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!