ENTRÉ MC1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you explain what you did to align the cantilever? No matter what cartridge you look at, it seems the majority have either azimuth errors (difficult for many tonearm mfgs.) or more commonly, slightly skewed cantilever assembles (relative to the cartridge body) and easily compensated for by end user.
You must cut the "rubber" or silicone substance to do this and superglue right?
I say silicone only because I have had 20 year old MC,s that have not collapsed at all or shown anything you expect to occur under the sun.

I am sorry but I do not understand your question about cutting the "rubber" or silicone substance and supergluing it. That rubber or silicone ring is the suspension and you should not cut nor superglue. That supports the coil + cantilever assembly. It's tension should be set up corretly otherwise the cartridge will not function properly. Previously rubber was used that dried out after a certain time. Later special rubbers were used but since silicone has been developed many cartridge manufacturers use silicone.

I think AVWERK asks what did you do, or how does one make the correct alignment of the cantilever for the repair?

Assuming it is not centered when received for repair.

He asks if some physical means, like cutting or adding glue to the "suspension ring" is used.

I ask, do you disassemble and then replace the ring if the cantilever does not center properly?

Which solder was used for resoldering of such a thin wire?

A regulated power soldering iron 30- 50 Watts and a needle nose plier with a rubber ring around the noses attached at the wire end to remove the heat rapidly, soldertype 60/38/2 works fine.

You need a non nervous hand and a good eye and some experience in soldering.
Presolder connectors and wire end properly with short soldering time.

A regulated power soldering iron 30- 50 Watts and a needle nose plier with a rubber ring around the noses attached at the wire end to remove the heat rapidly, soldertype 60/38/2 works fine.

You need a non nervous hand and a good eye and some experience in soldering.
Presolder connectors and wire end properly with short soldering time.

Perhaps I am too cautious but I would never touch these wires with a regular soldering iron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.