DIY linear tonearm

Apologies if I don't respond to all the suggestions. i'll try to later.

I fitted the new bearings and it still wouldnt track. Removed the moouse wire leads and it tracks fine. There is a problem with the new bearings though (as they are metal sealed) if I don't fit the spacers correctly (6mm brass standoff i use) it can bind the bearings.

Put the original bearings back on and it looks like it tracks well if I hold the wires directly over the carriage. No point in messsing about with a better cable stay as I will get new wire soon. It will have to be movable from the look of it.

After all the messing with the carriage the mouse wire is a bit kinked and very hard to get it to loop up and onto the cable stay like it did when new.

cats squirrel, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the bearings.
I'm not a fan of WD40. Its damages plastic and rubber I think and I don't want residue all over the turntable.

Straight tracker, The tilting of the arm was a last resort. I normally have it straight. What was it, that it didn't do well? It occassionally stuck in a groove, but I now put it down to the wire.

Kffern

Apologies if I don't respond to all the suggestions. i'll try to later.

I fitted the new bearings and it still wouldnt track. Removed the moouse wire leads and it tracks fine. There is a problem with the new bearings though (as they are metal sealed) if I don't fit the spacers correctly (6mm brass standoff i use) it can bind the bearings.

Put the original bearings back on and it looks like it tracks well if I hold the wires directly over the carriage. No point in messsing about with a better cable stay as I will get new wire soon. It will have to be movable from the look of it.

After all the messing with the carriage the mouse wire is a bit kinked and very hard to get it to loop up and onto the cable stay like it did when new.

cats squirrel, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the bearings.
I'm not a fan of WD40. Its damages plastic and rubber I think and I don't want residue all over the turntable.

Straight tracker, The tilting of the arm was a last resort. I normally have it straight. What was it, that it didn't do well? It occasionally stuck in a groove, but I now put it down to the wire.

Kffern

Good for you! I'm glad you are resolving the problem. I went with #36 copper magnet wire loosely twisted. Seems to work just fine.

Clearaudio 33awg is affordable and works well, unfortunately much wire has memory, we don't want this. We must either go thin in magnet wire with little resistance or a wire such as litz that has less tendency to bounce back, mouse wire is too thick and rigid as I've noticed, maybe good for pivoted arms but not here.

Colin

I'm trying not to labour the point, but even if you don't like WD40, for whatever reason, it is useful in displacing water, so this is for others who have potential problems with bearings.

If water gets into the bearings, from whatever source (remnants from alcohols) it must be flushed out with WD40. This can then be flushed out with a light oil. AFAIK, propanol (IPA) and light oil are not miscible, so if found in the bearing, will cause problems, this assumes the bearings are not sealed!

Most bearings will need running in (breaking in?), which means lubricating, and fixing in a drill and spun at high revs, so that any lube inside the bearing can do its job. Think of it as the same as breaking in a new 'speaker, amplifier, or component. This would seem very important in this situation, where stiction would seem to be the biggest 'show-stopper'.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/238027-diy-linear-tonearm-80.html#post3661834

The ony changes since this picture are the 12 mm glass rod and changed to 6mm spacers from 5 mm spacers(cut down 6mm brass unthreaded standoffs)

Again, I played a number of LPs with both configurations until I attempted the polishing.
No sign of the replacement bearings as yet so maybe another day before I do anything.

kffern

Can you check out my idea, can you test it..
If you ad two small pulley with thread and some weight on the end just to help the head shell to track better.
I think is good idea if you mount the two pulley the right place and pick the right weight just to ad some help.
Greetings G

Attachments

• 28722jl.jpg
    28722jl.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,091
Well, mucho gracias. And I prove to be mistaken. Hmmm, fish oil?

De nada.

A very close friend of mine is the WD40 Regional Manager for Latin America. That is why I know the history.
I'm also reading this thread because I'm working in a tonearm using linear bearings and chromed shafts (like the ones in printers), but instead I´ll try different kind of silicon lubricants.

Hasta luego.

gaborbela,

I see what you are trying to achieve, best ist to have a level tube and alight carriage. I went through many carriages before I settled on the last. You want to try and keep most of the weight at cartridge level as this helps immensely. The pulley idea assumes perfect vinyl, none of which.is and the pulley will cause huge issues tracking an off center record back towards the right hand plane.

Colin

Can you check out my idea, can you test it..
If you ad two small pulley with thread and some weight on the end just to help the head shell to track better.
I think is good idea if you mount the two pulley the right place and pick the right weight just to ad some help.
Greetings G

Isnt this the same as tilting the arm inwards, letting gravity do the job.

This can't be good for the stylus or the LP.
kffern