Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2013, 06:25 PM   #641
ChrisG139 is offline ChrisG139  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

New Arms! 001.JPG

New Arms! 002.jpg

New Arms! 003.JPG

New Arms! 004.jpg

Hello Everyone
Here is the latest version up and running. I've gone back to 10mm glass tube. It looks black as it has an inner 'tube' to damp it-carbon fibre. One word describes it- FANTASTIC!!
Old 18th September 2013, 08:19 PM   #642
drumdoctor is offline drumdoctor  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube termination

Looks nice! It looks like you've just glued or friction fit the glass tube into the end caps correct? The two aluminum rods at the top look like they will keep the whole assembly very rigid.
Old 18th September 2013, 08:24 PM   #643
diyAudio Member

Hi
The glass tube is a friction fit. The aluminium tubes are glued and screwed to make the whole assembly very rigid indeed. This I believe not only helps with tracking but also with bass-listening to 'A Remark You Made' by Weather Report really showcased Jaco's bass playing. Need to do a few adjustments at the weekend-but if this is anything to go buy-we all have a real winner here!
Old 18th September 2013, 11:35 PM   #644
hottattoo is offline hottattoo  United States
diyAudio Member

ChrisG139:

That is a good idea making the whole assembly more rigid. I bet it sound great.

Joe
Old 18th September 2013, 11:46 PM   #645
SGregory is offline SGregory  United States
diyAudio Member

Very Nice Build. Excellent implementation
Old 19th September 2013, 01:36 AM   #646
pcb121055 is offline pcb121055  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build ChrisG139. Looks great but how did you align your arm? I imagined that the stylus would trace a line that would pass thru the spindle and run parallel with the arm's direction of travel. It might be an artifact of your photo-taking method but it looks to me like the stylus is well beyond such a line. I'm sure I could be wrong here.
Old 19th September 2013, 07:38 AM   #647
vynuhl.addict is offline vynuhl.addict  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great work Chris!,

The extra bracing is beneficial for rigidity, I used a single 3/4" hollow Alu tube with a threaded rod for simplicity and the ability to change a potential broken tube if need be. This expansion also brings the resonant frequency down for the rail assembly which means further out of the critical audio band. Of course as ive seen you have done, is dampen the tube which is very simple and rubber o rings are very effective in this area since we don't want ringing getting back into the carriage. When all is said and done, you should be able to tap the glass lightly with your fingernail with music playing and not hear anything through the pickup other than maybe a slight low thud, a very damped quiet thud.

Colin
Old 19th September 2013, 07:40 AM   #648
diyAudio Member

You are absolutely correct. I'm an old hand at parallel trackers-had a Cantus and a Clearaudio Tangent. The stylus in in perfect line -must be the angle of the camera!
Old 19th September 2013, 08:56 AM   #649
vynuhl.addict is offline vynuhl.addict  Canada
diyAudio Member

Speaking of perfect line,

I must wholly reiterate how important a linear is to being setup correctly, fail this and you'll be wanting, achieve this and you will be surrounded by glorious music and tracking. In this design the goal is keeping the whole carriage cartridge included under 30g, mine with cart is 28.8g, which is fine if you keep the mass center of gravity low as a whole.

Colin
Old 20th September 2013, 06:07 PM   #650
diyAudio Member

Metal Rod 001.JPG

Metal Rod 002.jpg

Metal Rod 003.jpg

Hello Everyone
After proving flawless performance with my last version, I remembered someone mentioned the rod out of a printer-the one the ink carriage runs on. At lunchtime today, I noticed a printer which we were going to throw out in the corner of of the office. Hey presto-ten minutes later I had one highly polished metal rod!

Got home after a two and a half hour drive (M6 on a Friday is not to be recommended). After cutting to size, I mounted the rod on my original carrier (see pictures) and was immediately impressed at how much smoother the carriage rode the rod compared to glass. Early days but it again operated flawlessly, but also detail seemed a degree or two more real and bass was also a step up on previously. Has anyone else actually tried this?
Watch this space-things are getting interesting.
Chris

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!