Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2013, 07:50 PM   #501
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

No no... I am talking about the arm itself, not the borosilicate tube that the bearings roll across.

For the arm (what the cartridge is directly attached to) I am concerned about resonance, etc.... I already have 10mm borosilicate tubing, so that part isn't the issue.
Old 3rd September 2013, 07:52 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

From the looks of the Cantus and measuring from a photo, I think it is 16mm guessing by the size of the bearing. 2 mm thick.

Lexx21, for the support arm weight is not an issue, in fact fill it with sand to dampen resonances. For the tone arm and counterweight tube, lightweight is an issue. I used CF tubing from a kite shop. FunWithWind dot com SkyShark Carbon P90 tubing. It is super light and stiff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1977.jpg (441.5 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by SGregory; 3rd September 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:59 PM   #503
diyAudio Member

For those interested in dimensions, the one I can give is the center of tube to cart mounting bolts is 2 3/8", hope this will help. Ideally this should be adjustable, I originally built the fixed carriage without adjustments, then came to realize that adjustments were indispensable for setting tube length and azimuth. Polycarbonate might be heavier, but not as rigid for a given size compared to carbon fiber.

Colin

Last edited by vynuhl.addict; 3rd September 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:01 AM   #504
Golana is offline Golana  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry 'bout that Lexx. Did you see Veteran HIFI- Simply Black, Their's looks to be alum. or quite possibly titanium. Also their shaft length is definitely shorter than OC3.
@v.a- is yoours 2-3/8, adjustable or OP3. I know you previously said yours to be between 2 and 2.5".
Old 4th September 2013, 03:00 AM   #505
diyAudio Member

Mine is 2 3/8", it's a compromise, between too short which gives more sensitivity to VAT on slight warps and almost insensitive to warps. Much has to do with the slung height, that's why I tell anyone who wants to build it to go no bigger than 10 mm for tube width.

Colin
Old 4th September 2013, 11:55 AM   #506
diyAudio Member

I found all the parts I needed but the 10 mm glass tubing, so I ordered it on line. I have more than I need so if anyone needs some, I should have three extra tubes (they are 12" long). I' have extra 5/8" CF arrow shaft for the arm tube if anyone needs that (easy to find at a sporting goods shop). Used if for a uni-pivot design and works great with a little foam stuffed in the end for resonance. Shouldn't need foam with a short 2 or 3" arm tube.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:50 PM   #507
lexx21 is offline lexx21  United States
diyAudio Member

One of the things that would be great would be for a basic mechanical drawing of the arm. Does anyone have one that they could post? It would save on material waste and those "oh man.. should have done that.." type moments.
Old 4th September 2013, 03:58 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Basic mechanical drawing of the arm would be nice to have. You may find some hints, however, when looking at the Clearaudio Statement TT1 arm: http://www.muz.lt/saugykla/failai/Pu...it_07_Eng.pdf; page 13. The armwand is 186 mm long and has a total weight of 24 g.
Old 4th September 2013, 04:31 PM   #509
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Corrected link:
http://www.muz.lt/saugykla/failai/Pu...kit_07_Eng.pdf
Old 4th September 2013, 06:20 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

Default Hello lexx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx21 View Post
One of the things that would be great would be for a basic mechanical drawing of the arm
You'd have to have a few basic dimensions to do that. Good luck with that. I tried to get just the height of the glass tube above the LP from vynuhl.addict, to no avail.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Hide this!Advertise here!