DIY linear tonearm

Hi koldby, Hi super10018,

My tone arm's tangential position is solely controlled by a set of two cams and their cam followers. They are not shown in the drawing posted by super10018. The geometry is perfect and there is no tracking error! The oblong component at the end of the tone arm, I call the cradle. It supports five miniature ball bearings to support the "floating" head-shell for straight-line motion to keep the cartridge's cantilever tangent to a concentric circle of random diameter within the limits of the beginning and the end of the modulated groove of an LP record. The offset cradle/head-shell deliberately introduces the "inward force" so that the tone arm becomes "self propelled" across the surface of the LP. Because the tone arm and the head-shell move independently of each other, some means of preventing a collision between the tone arm and the head-shell had to be devised. That is the purpose of the "servo". It simply controls the "inward force". You might call it electronic anti skating!

There is another reason for off-setting the cradle/head-shell of my tone arm: All pivoting tangentially tracking tone arms require that their pivots be moved by a certain distance. Off-setting the cradle/head-shell reduces that distance by ~50% as opposed to a non off-sett cradle/head-shell.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Ralf,

I replied to your post Here since the thread is mainly about linear arms.

Jim

просто для удовольствия

возможен ли безколесный LTA? (не PLTA)
с
Мarantc SLT-12

Attachments

• MarantzSLT12_5.jpg
    MarantzSLT12_5.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 166
Thanks Alex - ....reinventing the wheel once again.
It's interesting, but what a mess!
https://vintage-turntable.com/marantz-slt-12.htmlhttp://www.mtk-physio.de/Marantz/Ma..._SLT-12U_Details/marantz_slt-12u_details.html
In the review it is defined passive, frankly I doubt that a stylus could move all that stuff, maybe they mean mechanical, moved by the rotation of the platter (oh my god!).
However they had already turned the parallelogram 90° as in my provocation: we've still to make it much simpler, and moving with just the weak tracing forces :)

carlo

Thanks Alex - ....reinventing the wheel once again.
It's interesting, but what a mess!
https://vintage-turntable.com/marantz-slt-12.htmlhttp://www.mtk-physio.de/Marantz/Ma..._SLT-12U_Details/marantz_slt-12u_details.html
In the review it is defined passive, frankly I doubt that a stylus could move all that stuff, maybe they mean mechanical, moved by the rotation of the platter (oh my god!).
However they had already turned the parallelogram 90° as in my provocation: we've still to make it much simpler, and moving with just the weak tracing forces :)

carlo
How does the Marantz do warps and eccentricities please?
M

Как Marantz справляется с деформациями и эксцентриситетами?
М
All mechanics are set in motion by the stylus. The stylus works out warping and eccentricity well. Its mechanics are simple, but it's required to manufacture complex equipment. It consists of levers, at the ends of which there are gear segments. Lubrication is incorporated at the factory and serves until the end of service. Downforce is adjustable. Edward.

All mechanics are set in motion by the stylus.
Really surprising, Alex: for me a friction above 2 mN is not acceptable, and we need a really sophisticated carriage to get less. So that complex massive mechanism with so many levers, gears and relative bearings had to be built to a truly unbelievable level to work well as you say.
But it is an excellent confirmation that such an idea can be feasible, possibly in a simpler way, achievable by a diyer.
c

All mechanics are set in motion by the stylus.
Really surprising, Alex: for me a friction above 2 mN is not acceptable, and we need a really sophisticated carriage to get less. So that complex massive mechanism with so many levers, gears and relative bearings had to be built to a truly unbelievable level to work well as you say.
But it is an excellent confirmation that such an idea can be feasible, possibly in a simpler way, achievable by a diyer.
c
Amazing. Is anyone able to separate out the components and sketch what is going on please? - and what the belt and wheel and top knob might be doing?
M

Маховик на панели служит микролифтом и для перемещения головы. Поднимая и опуская маховик, микролифт, и поворачивая влево или вправо выводим голову на нужную колею.