DIY linear tonearm - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2013, 11:08 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Batwing,

Having the wand on the same plane error wise would be ideal, but to do so the arm would have to be at least 6 inches to clear the platter or arm designed to fold away for record changing. I thought about this but then realized that can open another can of worms by needing super fine tolerances so that once set tracking wouldn't be off. Mechanically I like the fixed position mounting with the raised bar above the platter, it's solid and allows the arm to be short while allowing easy record changing.

Colin
Old 20th July 2013, 11:19 PM   #142
batsong is offline batsong  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you looked into the v-track bearings as opposed to sets of roller bearings?
Old 21st July 2013, 12:45 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Hi batsong,

No I haven't, may be a future project but from what I recall Bo had tried these according to moray. Have been working on the turntable at the moment . Pic enclosed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (699.9 KB, 661 views)

Last edited by vynuhl.addict; 21st July 2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 21st July 2013, 02:02 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Default Hello vynuhl.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vynuhl.addict View Post
but for a mid compliance cartridge 18 grams puts system resonance in the safe zone and warps won't give scary woofer pumping.
As you know, the total weight of your tonearm and its effective mass in the horizontal plane are identical. Isn't the effective mass in the vertical plane much less, considering that it pivots in the vertical plane?

Sincerely,

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 21st July 2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: missing comma
Old 21st July 2013, 01:24 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

If I understand this correctly there is no theoretical difference in mass in between the horizontal and vertical plane. The reality in difference relates to the bearing rolling resistance in the horizontal plane vs. the sliding resitance of the bearings on the glass tube as the arm moves up and down. In the case of this arm those forces needed to overcome the resistances are pretty small and probably close to being the same in magnitude.

Not sure how to quantify this with my current equipment, but I will try when I finish up my test build. May have to wait a couple of weeks as I am leaving for Floyd Fest tomorrow.!!!
Old 21st July 2013, 06:10 PM   #146
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You guys have wetted my appetite with your enthusiastic posts so I've started ordering stuff.I've managed to get hold of some perspex sheet;alloy and carbon fibre tube and have some ceramic bearings winging it over from Acerracing and some 200mm long test tubes from fleabay.Trying to cut the groove down the side should prove interesting.If that doesn't work I'll go with the four bearings riding on top of the tube.Should prove interesting.
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:15 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

Marra,

If you can, try to get ahold of some polycarbonate, also sold as macrolon or lexan, it's mug stronger and wont crack as easily when drilling. I used 1/8" macrolon for the carriage, and 1/4" for the counterweight and base, however it is more pricey but easier to work with.

Colin
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:21 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Polycarbonate / Lexan compared to Acrylic / Plexiglas
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:34 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

vynuhl.addict,
You made a simple linear tonearm. Would you consider making a simple turntable. The original AR turntable was very simple but effective and cost less than $100.00 I would like to see a DIY AR like turntable.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:02 AM   #150
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
If I understand this correctly there is no theoretical difference in mass in between the horizontal and vertical plane.
Yes, but there's a difference in inertia. Ever wondered about SMEs non-round counterweights?

jauu
Calvin

Hide this!Advertise here!