DIY linear tonearm - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2013, 04:15 AM   #1001
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to kffern
Apologies if I don't respond to all the suggestions. i'll try to later.

I fitted the new bearings and it still wouldnt track. Removed the moouse wire leads and it tracks fine. There is a problem with the new bearings though (as they are metal sealed) if I don't fit the spacers correctly (6mm brass standoff i use) it can bind the bearings.

Put the original bearings back on and it looks like it tracks well if I hold the wires directly over the carriage. No point in messsing about with a better cable stay as I will get new wire soon. It will have to be movable from the look of it.

After all the messing with the carriage the mouse wire is a bit kinked and very hard to get it to loop up and onto the cable stay like it did when new.

cats squirrel, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the bearings.
I'm not a fan of WD40. Its damages plastic and rubber I think and I don't want residue all over the turntable.

Straight tracker, The tilting of the arm was a last resort. I normally have it straight. What was it, that it didn't do well? It occassionally stuck in a groove, but I now put it down to the wire.

Kffern
Old 31st October 2013, 04:19 AM   #1002
diyAudio Member

I was always of the understanding to never touch the clearaudio/souther bearings with any cleaner, especially alcohol?.

Colin

Last edited by vynuhl.addict; 31st October 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 31st October 2013, 07:14 AM   #1003
bgruhn is offline bgruhn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vynuhl.addict View Post
I was always of the understanding to never touch the clearaudio/souther bearings with any cleaner, especially alcohol?.

Colin
I use isopropyl alcohol for cuts and bruises and bee stings and killing germs etc. As an industrial cleaner it doesn't cut the mustard or the grease and oil.

BillG
Old 31st October 2013, 07:21 AM   #1004
bgruhn is offline bgruhn  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kffern View Post
Apologies if I don't respond to all the suggestions. i'll try to later.

I fitted the new bearings and it still wouldnt track. Removed the moouse wire leads and it tracks fine. There is a problem with the new bearings though (as they are metal sealed) if I don't fit the spacers correctly (6mm brass standoff i use) it can bind the bearings.

Put the original bearings back on and it looks like it tracks well if I hold the wires directly over the carriage. No point in messsing about with a better cable stay as I will get new wire soon. It will have to be movable from the look of it.

After all the messing with the carriage the mouse wire is a bit kinked and very hard to get it to loop up and onto the cable stay like it did when new.

cats squirrel, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean the bearings.
I'm not a fan of WD40. Its damages plastic and rubber I think and I don't want residue all over the turntable.

Straight tracker, The tilting of the arm was a last resort. I normally have it straight. What was it, that it didn't do well? It occasionally stuck in a groove, but I now put it down to the wire.

Kffern
Good for you! I'm glad you are resolving the problem. I went with #36 copper magnet wire loosely twisted. Seems to work just fine.
Old 31st October 2013, 11:18 AM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Clearaudio 33awg is affordable and works well, unfortunately much wire has memory, we don't want this. We must either go thin in magnet wire with little resistance or a wire such as litz that has less tendency to bounce back, mouse wire is too thick and rigid as I've noticed, maybe good for pivoted arms but not here.

Colin
Old 31st October 2013, 12:03 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Have a look at this:

HF-Draht+Litze

Hans.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:10 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

I'm trying not to labour the point, but even if you don't like WD40, for whatever reason, it is useful in displacing water, so this is for others who have potential problems with bearings.

If water gets into the bearings, from whatever source (remnants from alcohols) it must be flushed out with WD40. This can then be flushed out with a light oil. AFAIK, propanol (IPA) and light oil are not miscible, so if found in the bearing, will cause problems, this assumes the bearings are not sealed!

Most bearings will need running in (breaking in?), which means lubricating, and fixing in a drill and spun at high revs, so that any lube inside the bearing can do its job. Think of it as the same as breaking in a new 'speaker, amplifier, or component. This would seem very important in this situation, where stiction would seem to be the biggest 'show-stopper'.

forward through scholarship, not bullship
Old 31st October 2013, 02:50 PM   #1008
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tetrachloroethylene

brakeclean
Might be better to degrease with
Old 31st October 2013, 04:27 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

quote: Might be better to degrease with

as it is a CFC, (or equivalent), it will be night impossible to buy in the UK, although old fashioned dry cleaners may provide a little, BUT, it is not miscible with water, so concerns still apply in using alcohols for pre-cleaning.

forward through scholarship, not bullship
Old 31st October 2013, 08:02 PM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kffern View Post
DIY linear tonearm

The ony changes since this picture are the 12 mm glass rod and changed to 6mm spacers from 5 mm spacers(cut down 6mm brass unthreaded standoffs)

Again, I played a number of LPs with both configurations until I attempted the polishing.
No sign of the replacement bearings as yet so maybe another day before I do anything.

kffern
Can you check out my idea, can you test it..
If you ad two small pulley with thread and some weight on the end just to help the head shell to track better.
I think is good idea if you mount the two pulley the right place and pick the right weight just to ad some help.
Greetings G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28722jl.jpg (110.9 KB, 377 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!