Technics SL-1100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I found a Technics Sl-1100 that looks and performs very well for being as old as it is. The price was too good to pass up. The only thing I see that is a problem is the cover was badly scratched and there were a few scratches near where the platter gets installed in the recess of the base.

And I made the mistake of bending the stylus when I removed the head shell. It has a Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge. Luckily it seems I can get a replacement for a fairly low price.

I'll try this again when I get back on my PCM..trying to do this on an iPad doesn't seem to work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 125
Another try at posting photos

a>

a>

Lets see if this works. The urls are the HTML code from Flickr. I see it added an image tag to the beginning and end of the URL. When I opened the icon it automatically had http:// at the beginning of the space to paste the URL. Since that's already in the HTML code from Flickr I figured I didn't need it again. Lets see if this works. If it doesn't can someone point me in the right direction with instructions on what to do.

To be honest I don't remember how I got the guitar photo to post. My reason for that was to show how I polished the guitar body to a glasslike finish which is what I'll do to remove the scratches on the turntable cover.

Hope this works this time. I hit preview and it only shows one thumbnail image.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 122
To be honest I don't remember how I got the guitar photo to post. My reason for that was to show how I polished the guitar body to a glasslike finish which is what I'll do to remove the scratches on the turntable cover.

That's a nice looking guitar. I used Novus to get the scratches out of my turntable cover. Comes in 3 grades, depending on how aggressive you want to be with the polishing.

The Sl-1100 looks like it's in good shape. Pretty funky looking arm thou.:)

jeff

That's the stock arm that came with the SL1100. I think they used a more conventional looking arm on the SL1100A. All it is is that anti-skating mechanism and the counterweight were designed to be more prismatic in appearance. I listened to it yesterday at the sellers house. It sounded good. the turntable weighs about 40 or 50 lbs and the feet were rubber and had shock absorbers in them. i think that helped. i made the mistake of bending the stylus shank when I removed the head shell.so now I need a new stylus. I can get NOS replacements on amazon for $15. Like many things back then they overbuilt assemblies. That turntable is rock solid on shock absorbers. Others have said that because of its solid design it helped isolate anything that could cause distortion or coloration to the sound.

I may have gone overboard with finishing my guitar. I sprayed about 50 coats of nitrocellulose lacquer and then started wet sanding with 400 grit, 600 grit, 800 grit all the way to 2000 grit. Then I found a 3M product for polishing and waxing. I didn't want to destroy the lacquer finish by getting too aggressive with an orbital sander so everything was done by hand. I think I can start with the 800 grit wet sanding the cover ....even mixing in some of the polishing compound. The emery pads I got at Woodcraft are washable so as long as you aren't to aggressive they will last a while. A friend I knew that restores Indian motorcycles gave me some Wenol polish that I found packed away. That may be worth a try. The secret to being successful at polishing is to be gentle and take your time.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.