Thorens TD 124 Bearing Oil?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To All: Check the TD124 Service manual before making recommendations.

That oil, in the service manual was produced by Texaco and classed as a turbine oil with a straight 20 wt. viscosity. Fast forward to today and notice that that old formula is no longer produced. But the modern day equivalent is available. Texaco R&O 46. This is also a Turbine oil with a straight 20 wt. viscosity. But that oil is typically only available in barrels, not by the quart.

Alternatives that match include a straight 20 wt turbine oil being offered by the 3-in-one company called "electric motor oil". Typically, this is available at hardware stores. This can be purchased in a smaller quantities.

Keep in mind, that the requirement is for a 20 wt. viscosity. Even if you have replaced the bushings with new ones, factory running clearances should have been restored. In my experience, 20 wt. seems to be the right weight. Go too thick and you will have speed consistency problems.

I would avoid gear lubes that have viscosities around 80 and 90 wt.

Some have tried automotive oils with viscosity ratings approximately similar to 20 wt and report positive results.

-Steve

Sewing machine oil is OK if nothing else is available . The motor needs a drop . There is a hole to guide it in . The motor needs oil more often than the main bearing . If green oil flows out give it 3 treatments over a few days . Do not strip the motor , it is a little difficult sometimes to get it back into alignment . If you do tap the outside gently as you tighten it up to keep the self aligning bearings free . If it locks up slacken one bolt until free .

The oil you need might be SAE 30 with no additives ( just rust inhibitor ) . Power station turbine oil I think it is called . Avoid motor car oils . They are for pressure bearings . Phosphoric acid crystals can form in the bearings which increases noise if using the wrong oil . The correct oil will reverse that . Source of info Dr Bowers ex of British non ferrous metals and developer of the fuel cell in 1952 , sold to NASA . He is now in his late 80's .

Loricraft Audio do have a specialized oil for these turntables if you can ever persuade them to send some . They had the help of Esso when it's research dept was in Oxfordshire and Dr Bowers .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Make sure that you purchase 3 in One SAE 20wt Electric Motor Oil, NOT standard 3 in One. Original thread is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/174341-restoring-improving-thorens-td-124-mkii.html

Do not under any circumstances use a heavy weight oil beyond 30wt.. (The original Thorens oil was approximately 22wt using the SAE viscosity index according to Swiss Precision: The Story of the Thorens TD 124 and Other Classic Turntables.)

Should look like this: http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Note this oil can be used during motor service as well. Details are in the thread I referenced above.

3 in 1 was vegetable oil in the past ( or had a proportion ) . If used if might degrade with time . Shops that sell model locomotives know all about this , the oil they uses should be OK .

SAE 30 was the better choice from Esso , it helps slightly worn bearings without causing excessive drag . SAE20 was good . I think Platine Verdier uses lathe slide bed lubrication oil . It seems a good choice . It is pink . Rockol might be the brand ?

Garrard in the 1950/60 used oil for hydrolic diggers ( rams ) .

The main thing is not to have any soaps or stuff for the start up of a cold enigne in the oil . These oils assume a > 50 PSI to 4 Bar constant pressure .

One oil we tried was from our local fire dept . A synthetic oil for their pumps . It didn't seem a good choice . Esso weren't surprised . Luckily Esso's ( Exxon UK ) research boss was a hi fi nut . We were able to buy this oil in 25 litres containers . It came from France and had been in the product range since the 1920's .

The table has now had an oil change and all moving parts lubed or greased. One thing to look for is the sprung piston connected to the idler wheel. Mine was dry and preventing crisp speed changes. All in all big changes for the better in terms of sound. Stridency has been replaced with smoothness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.