The Good Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Be Yamamura made an arm like that a long time ago

That arm is the same as the RS Lab or 47 Lab arm. But I must point out just because it has a pivoting headshell it does NOT mean it is for adjusting for tangency. I read the designer's paper and it is purely for lessening skating force. But many people mistaken it as a tangential arm. The Thales or the Garrard Zero 100 are true to the tangential pivoting genre.

Sorry for the distraction and being off topic.

The round black thin is a golf ball indeed. The arm is a DIY clone of the "Well Tempered" Tonearm by William Firebaugh. The arm is hangig on a nylon string. To avoid it from dangling, the golf ball is damped with silicone oil. I'm currently working on an improved version. Curryman and me are also thinkig about providing 3D models of the main parts to make it 3D printable for the DIY enthusiuast who does not own a lathe and a mill.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Nothing beats an oil film for noise performance, if you aim for Mag-lev, then please consider that the Neo magnet are far from homogenous, and if you use repelling magnets you are bound to get wobbling forces on your bearing.

sorry, no free lunch..:(
Maybe you could use two platters, the lower one has the bearing, the upper one sits on the lower one using mag lev. Both platters turn simultaneously, drive is applied on the lower platter.

The funk firm way of stopping bending modes can be done with a thin wall titanium tube and pounding a square piece of balsa wood down into the tube to create a similiar strong arm tube that stops its high Q resonance. And thats just the beginning..

You want the headshell platform as rigid as possible to transmit stylus micro details that get quenched with any designs that loose this tight connection.
These designs with pivoting headshells for tangency and such are going in the opposite direction of a solid platform needed for the best cartridges. Creating one cure shouldn't result in another disease.

Regards
David

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Today I got a tonearm I got to rewire... it is a micro seiki XP 237 but it was modified in Switzerland. There is no arm bearing, the arm hangs on two wires that are fixed on an horizontal wheel that is immersed in a silicon bath.

It seems like the well tempered idea but instead of the golf ball, there is an horizontal wheel.

Can not find anything on the net.... can you help ?

Today I got a tonearm I got to rewire... it is a micro seiki XP 237 but it was modified in Switzerland. There is no arm bearing, the arm hangs on two wires that are fixed on an horizontal wheel that is immersed in a silicon bath.

It seems like the well tempered idea but instead of the golf ball, there is an horizontal wheel.

Can not find anything on the net.... can you help ?

The original WTA had a plastic disc (with four holes in it). I had one for a short while. OK with MMs like the old ADC 25/6, but not with SPU type MCs.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.