Turntable kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2013, 04:23 AM   #1
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable kits

Has anyone any experience with the Turntable kits being sold at this web site?
Turntables

They look interesting but are they worth it? I'm still thinking I should try to find a used Thorens TD160 ot Technics SL1200 or 1300 and rebuild it.

I had one that wouldn't rotate at a constant speed a few years ago and I ended up donating it to the Salvation Army. Now I regret my decision.
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wink Arm Kit

Hi, Just saw your query, I have not done their T/T but am using one on their Kit arms. Found them to be very helpful and quality of parts was good for the price.
Sound quality from the 12 inch arm was much, much better than that the upgraded Rega 250 I was using with a 103 cart. Since original purchase have upgraded the arm, prices for upgrades are very good and again they were very helpful suggesting an upgrade path to suit my budget (rather confined by what I can hide from the wife!!)
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The turntable kits look great! I would love to build one.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Review of Kit

Apparently one of their kits is being reviewed by TNT online mag
Old 17th May 2014, 04:17 AM   #5
MannyE is offline MannyE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarddn View Post
Apparently one of their kits is being reviewed by TNT online mag
I just stumbled upon this thread and this seems like a great kit! The TNT guy did one part of the review but never got to part two!
Old 19th May 2014, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I actually just placed an order for the kit. The contact (Derek) at Temaad specified a 10% deposit to confirm the order and then a lead time of about 3 weeks.
He also sent me a copy of the "Part 2" TNT Audio article. In the article, the author tests 5 different DIY plinth configurations.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin86325 View Post
I actually just placed an order for the kit. The contact (Derek) at Temaad specified a 10% deposit to confirm the order and then a lead time of about 3 weeks.
He also sent me a copy of the "Part 2" TNT Audio article. In the article, the author tests 5 different DIY plinth configurations.
I would love to get my hands on that article! Has he not posted it yet? In that case I understand, but if he has posted it, and it's just my ineptitude that's keeping me from seeing it... well, then please lemme see it!

I'm leaning hard towards getting one of these as I have a bunch of granite countertop remnants I think will make a wonderful plinth.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Manny, I'm not sure why the article has not been posted yet. If you want, I can e-mail the article. I don't feel 100% sure about posting it here before it can be published on the TNT Audio site.

I was also thinking about granite because I like the way it looks, but after doing some reading I've decided against. I might do a thin layer of slate and then polyester resin, or just the resin itself. I'm still researching...
This was a very interesting page I thought:
http://qualia.webs.com/plinths.htm
Old 20th May 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah I totally understand about not posting the article. I wouldn't feel it's OK either unless the author gave permission.

I am looking forward to hearing your impressions of the kit. The TNT guy seems to be convinced!
Old 20th May 2014, 12:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I will definitely post my impressions but it might take some time.

Hide this!Advertise here!