Sapphire needles sound fine ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used cartridges with sapphire and diamond styli and have to say I would never ever advocate the use of sapphire based on its extremely poor wear characteristics. The only records I have ever really damaged were damaged by a sapphire stylus. Sapphire styli were common on cheap crystal and ceramic cartridges, and are sometimes seen on magnetic types intended to play 78s, but I know of no quality cartridge that used them as OEM..

Sapphire styli in my limited experience can last as little as 25hrs of use before they start to deteriorate (say 50 - 60 sides) and the initial wear damages the record before you are even aware of the fact that it has started to wear out.

I've used cartridges with sapphire and diamond styli and have to say I would never ever advocate the use of sapphire based on its extremely poor wear characteristics. The only records I have ever really damaged were damaged by a sapphire stylus. Sapphire styli were common on cheap crystal and ceramic cartridges, and are sometimes seen on magnetic types intended to play 78s, but I know of no quality cartridge that used them as OEM..

Sapphire styli in my limited experience can last as little as 25hrs of use before they start to deteriorate (say 50 - 60 sides) and the initial wear damages the record before you are even aware of the fact that it has started to wear out.

Thanks for the return.
I think in use a 0.7mm shappire stylus in my GE VR22 cartridge.
But if is too problematic, them I will use diamond.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.