Kronos TT: As Good As It Gets ...? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2013, 01:32 AM   #1
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Kronos TT: As Good As It Gets ...?

Enter The Kronos: The Kronos Audio Turntable : HPSoundings ...
Old 24th May 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The contra-rotating platter idea has been around for a while. Frankly, it's an elaborate solution to a problem that can be resolved much easier, and better, with proper suspension design.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is a DIY audio forum. WhyTF would we want to have one of these ????

Too much of a faf.

Over engineered and probably over priced.

Get a Lenco L75, service and re-plinth it.

Enjoy the music.

Job Done
Old 24th May 2013, 11:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would try DIY of a commercial product if its technology has advantage.
But I do not know OP's intention whether he/she might have forgotten this is a DIY audio forum, or wanted to talk about the technology.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, part of the ethos of DIY is pushing the boundaries, trying out ideas not accepted or known in the mainstream - getting more bang for your buck. This is an interesting variation on solving the problem of spinning a piece of plastic such that one is not aware of this happening - and is apparently quite successful at doing this.

For people who are interested in getting better sound, and trying new ways of doing such, it may be of value ...
Old 24th May 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To be honest, the USP of this deck is a bit of a (very elaborate) gimmick. Yes, in theory, the rotating platter applies torque to the suspension (assuming the deck has one); but, in reality, the suspension would have to have a ridiculously compliant suspension for this to be an issue.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The manufacturer of the TT puts it quite succintly, thus: About Kronos Audio

The concept seems quite reasonable to me: a mechanical process occurs to translate the groove modulations into an electrical signal, and everything that helps to stabilise that behaviour can only help to improve the sound ...
Old 24th May 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The process is stabilised already, by the torsional component already present in a decks suspension. The speed of rotation of the platter is just not great enough to make this a problem.

It is an overly elaborate solution to a non-existent problem. Introducing another platter, bearing and motor to a turntable is likely to introduce more issues than those that it may 'conceptually' resolve.

I've read the manufacturers hypothesis and it is conceptually valid in that the rotating platter does impart rotational torque to the chassis. However, I don't agree with the hypothesis regarding the sonic impact of that torque or the solution.

Remember, the platter is supposed to be rotating at a constant and unvarying speed. The moment of rotation is a fixed. The actual moment is quite low, as is the platters velocity.

In this case, the deck uses two completely independent platters, bearings and motors. If there is any variation in the speed of these two platters relative to each other it is likely to introduce significantly more rotational instability that if it were not there.

Last edited by YNWOAN; 24th May 2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why sell one turntable for a paltry $16,000, when one can sell what is essentially two turntables for $32,000, yes? These guys appear to well understand the audiophile mind.

I just helped a friend buy a new 2013 Honda Accord EX-L that cost about $5000 less than that.
Old 24th May 2013, 02:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I did a little more digging around, and the opinions of those who have heard it seem consistent - even on forums where cynicism is rampant. In essence, it does the job at least as well as anything else out there. Now, whether this is due to the principles espoused by the designer, or because of the excellence of the fundamental engineering of the unit is in dispute - my interest is in understanding why this particular design has hit an apparent sweet spot ...

Hide this!Advertise here!