Rega Planar 3 question about oil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am new to the forum and couldn't find an answer to my question in a search.
I have a Rega planar 3 with a few years under its belt, as I know of no dealers that are nearby (I moved countries a couple of years ago) I would like to clean out the bearing and re-oil it.
I know what to do as I have already seen how the bearing comes apart (not mine) and how it is oiled, my question is;

What kind of oil should I use? and where can I get it?

Thanks

Chris

P.S. I am very practical and skilled....

The simple answer is as long as its full of oil who cares ?

My practical experience is that it makes no difference at all
as far as I can tell, the bearing being full being far more
important than any viscousity differences. The lighter
compound oils (3 in 1 for example) tend to dry out over
time and become more viscous anyway.

There is a school of thought that says light oils are the best
to reduce drag down to the area of record induced drag,
minimising motor vibration.
Its certainly true a synchronous motor will draw more power
to maintain speed against a higher drag load.
Balanced against this is the school of thought that says
thicker oils make the bearing more solid and improves 'integrity'.

Like I said I've been unable to tell, using any oil that
runs in any reasonable sense at room temperature.

If you want a thin oil then your best bet is 'sewing machine' oil.

thicker - household 3 in 1

thicker still - the various grades of car engine oil.

thicker still - car gearbox oil.

thicker still - motorbike fork oil.

I'd suggest oiling the motor as best you can will make the
largest difference (given the bearing is full) - you seem to
be saying that this shouldn't be a problem.

:) /sreten.

Answers for same question!on Agon

Turntable oil bearing
Just sold my Logic DM 101 turntable to a gentlement in Japan.It was impossible to save original oil for shipping.I know there is many vinyl guru on Audiogon...is it possible to hear difference using different oil...what is the best to use.
Praudio (Threads | Answers)

11-11-01

Responses
11-11-01: Bluenose
I use Singer sewing machine oil in my roxan zerxes and never had a problem....anyone else doing similar? Remember, I'm not advising anyone else to do this, simply saying it's okay in the roxan....cheers, Bluenose
Bluenose (Threads | Answers)

11-11-01: Slawney
"It is essential to keep the bearing assembly fully flooded with clean oil at all times. A high-quality, clear and non-viscous oil is optimum. ... Don't use thick, viscous or exotic oils as these might attack the bearing bush linings. Sewing machine oil is a recommended lubricant, obtainable widely throughout the world." Simon Yorke, Simon Yorke Designs.
Slawney (Threads | Answers)

11-11-01: Albertporter
There are many in the industry that recommend Mobil One synthetic for this purpose. It is what I use on my turntables air bearing between the surfaces that (nearly) meet.

A synthetic will not congeal, change viscosity or diminish its lubrication properties over long periods of time, even when unattended for years.

The version to use is 5W-30W. At room and bearing operation temperatures the viscosity will not be much different than sewing machine oil but has the additional properties that a synthetic provides.
Albertporter (System | Threads | Answers)

11-11-01: Sdcampbell
The suggestions above are all good. To offer another option, you might consider getting a bottle of turntable bearing oil from VPI. I use the oil they supply for the bearings in their best turntables, and you can order it directly from VPI.
Sdcampbell (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

11-11-01: Dekay
I have been refurbishing an old Thorens TD165 and decided to stick with Singer "sewing machine" oil as a safe bet (not their cheaper all purpose machine oil). Some of the synthetic oils contain Teflon and/or other materials, which has been said can break down and change into an abrasive with time (this is just heresay from the web, mind you). They sometimes contain other preservatives, which might be iffy depending on what material(s) the oil comes comes into contact with, like the TT belt and spindles. As far as I know the Singer oil has no negatives as long as you are not using it in a "grease" bearing and in this case it is not thick enough. Better yet is to use whatever oil the manufacturer recommends for your bearing as it was designed with this particular oil (and the weight of it) in mind, I would hope. I am not saying that all synthetic oils are bad, just that caution is advised in selecting the right one (don't just use anything).
Dekay (System | Threads | Answers)

11-11-01: Jallen
Another synthetic I think worth investigating is Redline. They offer the usual weights 5w30, 10w30, etc. However, they also offer gear/bearing oil in various weights which is said to be safe with rubber. This oil is the MTL, MT90 and 75/90NS. They are sulfur free also. The MTL is about the same viscosity as 10w30, the MT90 about a 10w40. They have all the low friction properties of synthetics in fact I prefer the shifting in my car with the Redline after trying Mobil 1, Valvoline and others. I don't know if there is sulfur in motor oil. There is in gear oil. Jeff
Jallen (Threads | Answers)

Transmission oil with Dextron seem fine in my Thorens TD 125 MKII.

Well everything from sewing machine oil to gearbox oil,
obviously no bikers or we might have got the fork oil !

I'd be predisposed towards the sewing machine oil for the
Rega 3, due to the known fine tolerances of the bearing and
its a good bet for oiling the motor also.

The motor vibration argument is certainly more valid for the
Rega 3 than subchassis turntables, I believe Roksan always
advocated the minimum friction approach.

:) /sreten.

Good point..

but 33.33333 is not exactly high rpm &
IMHO the requiremnt here is not the same as for high temp opertions where viscocity change is a problem. In the TT bearing application an oil should lubricate but also provide some mech damping without too much drag to help drown out residual noise.

Light voil, while not necessarily better than alternatives, may meet both requirements at vitually no cost - but a concern might be its long term performance like reaction with air but ... all oils should be replaced at reasonable intervals any way.
cheers

:) ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but 33.33333 is not exactly high rpm &

It doesn't look much until you consider the pressure on the bearing tip...

IMHO the requiremnt here is not the same as for high temp opertions where viscocity change is a problem.

Actually, the tighter the bearing tolerance the bigger problem this becomes, don't underestimate the requirements here.

In the TT bearing application an oil should lubricate but also provide some mech damping without too much drag to help drown out residual noise.

Only relatively high viscosity oil can damp out spurious resonances which should not be there in a good design in the first place.
Obviously, the higher the viscosity the greater the damping but, unfortunately the drag factor climbs up at the same rate.

all oils should be replaced at reasonable intervals any way.

A well designed bearing will only take a very small amount of oil.
With the right grade of synthetic oil you can have the TT spin for twenty years in a row, it will not have changed one bit.

BTW, I've been running a British TT with a 90 lbs platter for fifteen years now, it's still as quiet as when I first installed it...

It's a masterpiece of engineering and is absolutely carefree.
Still running on the same drops of oil too.
Do I sound like an ad or what?:cannotbe:

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

looks like you are quite an expert

Nah, not really...

you will be pleased to know I have purchased sewing machine oil, I was surprised that it is even less viscous than 3 in 1.

Yeah...and you should be able to tell the difference in sound as well, all else being up to par.

I will not try to cook with it though

What? Not even for fish and chips?:dead:

Cherio,;)

According to the Rega website's FAQ......

" To re-oil your turntable bearing please do not use just any old lubricant - sewing machine lubricant is often used - PLEASE DO NOT USE IT! this will cause no end of trouble to your turntable."

They recommend taking your turntable to a dealer for servicing, but they would, wouldn't they?.

I'm using 15W40 mineral oil in my Planar 2 and it sounds fine.

Paul Dimaline said:
Some usefull info HERE

Paul.
Just a word of caution. Never put a Q-Tip or cotton swab inside the bearing well to soak up the oil in the bottom of the well.
You will end up with a mess. I keep seeing this in other threads as well and it makes absolutely no sense.
If you want to do the job efficiently, remove the brass housing completely from the plinth by removing the nut on the bottom of the plinth and push the housing upward carefully because it is snugly fit into the plinth.
You can then clean it with an appropriate solvent or cleaner/degreaser iff need be.
Always preoil the shaft on the subplatter assembly with a light coating of oil prior to reinserting into the bearing housing. Anyone can do this. It's very simple and takes only a few minutes to get your bearing in great working order.

Bearing oil for bearings

Try Slick Fifty mixed 1/2 and 1/2 . Shake bottle well to suspend PTFE micro particles . Doe not use old formula particle are larger and my impact and bind .(pre 1998) Any you find on the shelf should be manufactured after this time .

Gixxer

Bearing oil for bearings

What type of gear oil ( 80-90 ) , organic or synthetic. I think the volume is a little shy of what is actual required . I'm not sure of the recommended volume required by Rega . 3 drops might be enough to lubricate the thrust area of the bearing , but the shaft to my thinkinig will remain dry and a oil wedge will not establish itself to protect the bronze bushing or outer bearing area from wear and noise transmission.

Any Thoughts
Gixxer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.