DIY Empire Cartridge Sled - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Empire Cartridge Sled

The photos show a cheap, easy DIY Empire cartridge sled I came up with to replace the ones that frequently seem to go AWOL. The secret is using brass plated 5/8Ē x 18 escutcheon pins - round headed brads. Hardware stores have them. The sled itself is made from 1/16Ē bass wood, which is also available at hardware stores, hobby stores and probably art stores. The wooden part is made of two pieces of bass wood laminated at 90 degrees for strength. Just to make sure this could be done without a shop full of tools, I did most of the work with an Exacto knife.

The 1/4Ē hole for the 4-40 nut, the holes for the pins, and the 1/8Ē starter holes for the attaching slots were done with a drill press, but a portable drill would work fine. Holes for the pins were done with an escutcheon pin shank mounted point down in the drill chuck. Itís very accurate and allows a press fit of the pins. The pins can be simply driven through, but the fit is less tight. The pins were cut to about 3/16Ē shank length before insertion. The 4-40 nut is a press fit into the headshell side of the sled. For extra security, both the pins and the nut could be superglued, but I didnít find that necessary.

The pin and 4-40 nut locations are critical. The dimensions in the drawing, which is drawn at approx. 2X scale, are pretty accurate for the sled I built, but may not match other Empire headshells exactly. Check the positioning on your specific headshell. There is a curved section to the contacts in the headshell and the pin heads should hit slightly forward on the curves. Make sure you keep the relative orientation of the sled and the headshell firmly in mind so the pin pattern doesnít wind up reversed. Want to guess how I know that?

The cartridge connecting wires are soldered flat to the sled and loop to the rear. They need to be fairly short so they donít tangle or prevent overhang adjustments. Check the polarity of the connections all the way to the RCA plugs. I wound up with polarity that didnít match the Empire sled I used as a model, which is part of why I didnít indicate polarity on the drawings. I used a set of commercial cartridge connectors that I cut one end off of, but making your own with mouse wire and ďDĒ type computer connecters will work, too. Tinning both the exposed wire and the pin makes the final solder connection quicker and easier.

Making the sled was actually easier than explaining what I did so if there questions, let me know and Iíll try to clear things up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050777.JPG.jpg (172.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg P1050774.JPG.jpg (164.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1050773.JPG.jpg (137.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P1050764.JPG.jpg (109.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1050762.JPG.jpg (181.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg P1050761.JPG.jpg (175.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg empire.jpg (150.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 19th May 2013, 07:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found on my Troubadour that the fixing nut is a #3-48.
Am I wrong ?
Old 19th May 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Arch,

I'm sure you're right about the #3-48. Thanks for bringing that up. Empire changed specs from time to time, I think. That would be a good thing to check for anybody who makes one of these.

Hide this!Advertise here!