diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   MC step-up transformer (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/235626-mc-step-up-transformer.html)

GazzaFloyd 8th May 2013 09:53 AM

MC step-up transformer
 
Hi All

Looking at getting a new Cartridge maybe MC, but my Phono stage is MM only.
I like the Phono Stage I have so I would need a step Up Transformer, so do any of you here have experience with this

MC to mm Audio Stereo Step Up Cartridge Transformer | eBay

or are there other options at reasonable money out there?

Ps current thinking on a Cartridge DL-103

Thanks
Garry

analog_sa 8th May 2013 12:59 PM

Couldn't see any mention of the most important parameter - core material. Why would you choose this in preference to a Lundahl or a Tribute?

oshifis 8th May 2013 01:23 PM

http://www.nixiekits.eu/Downloads/Ue...-Messungen.pdf

I think the DC resistance is to high. I would go for a Lundahl or a Sowther...

merlin el mago 8th May 2013 02:02 PM

Or Jensen or Tamura.

esltransformer 8th May 2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog_sa (Post 3483154)
Couldn't see any mention of the most important parameter - core material. Why would you choose this in preference to a Lundahl or a Tribute?

If you have time.....make your own mc transformer.

I made mine without a winding machine. It's easy to do but it's a lot of work. Just buy the best core you can find (probably a cobalt amorph core is the best and cost between 15 and 25 each)

andyr 9th May 2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazzaFloyd (Post 3483004)
Hi All

Looking at getting a new Cartridge maybe MC, but my Phono stage is MM only.
I like the Phono Stage I have so I would need a step Up Transformer, so do any of you here have experience with this

MC to mm Audio Stereo Step Up Cartridge Transformer | eBay

or are there other options at reasonable money out there?

Ps current thinking on a Cartridge DL-103

Thanks
Garry

Why not use a head amp instead of a SUT?

AKSA (who have their own forum on these pages) offer the "Paris" head amp - JFET-based, battery powered. You can find details here:

::: Aspen Amplifiers :::

(scroll down the page)

I have one - IMO it's one of the best. It's also replaced SUTs for a few of my friends. :) (And despite what Hugh says in the blurb, it was called the "Paris" ... because it "gives good head"! :D )


Regards,

Andy

GazzaFloyd 9th May 2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esltransformer (Post 3483339)
If you have time.....make your own mc transformer.

I made mine without a winding machine. It's easy to do but it's a lot of work. Just buy the best core you can find (probably a cobalt amorph core is the best and cost between 15 and 25 each)

I have no promlem doing a build, Have you got any plans?

Thanks

GazzaFloyd 9th May 2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyr (Post 3483958)
Why not use a head amp instead of a SUT?

AKSA (who have their own forum on these pages) offer the "Paris" head amp - JFET-based, battery powered. You can find details here:

::: Aspen Amplifiers :::

(scroll down the page)

I have one - IMO it's one of the best. It's also replaced SUTs for a few of my friends. :) (And despite what Hugh says in the blurb, it was called the "Paris" ... because it "gives good head"! :D )


Regards,

Andy

this looks interesting, but still pushes the budjet

Garry

SY 9th May 2013 10:02 AM

I am a huge advocate of good step-up transformers, and it's what I use. But... not here. The DL103 has a large DCR for a moving coil (50 ohms or so). That means you can have losses in the treble due to the leakage inductance of all but the very best (read: expensive) SUTs. I would second the use of a transformerless head amp. IMO, a bipolar transistor input is a better solution than an FET for this application, but I gather that you're not going to do your own design or a scratch-build?

esltransformer 9th May 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GazzaFloyd (Post 3484184)
I have no promlem doing a build, Have you got any plans?

Thanks

The right material Metglas magnaperm 2714AF
http://www.manz-electronic.com/downl...212708f721b788

or you can use from Vacuumschmelze the 6025F (=the same as 2714AF)

This firm sells it:
MES Manz Electronic Systeme OHG | Softmagnetic products | Semiconductors | Busbars | Military and Space | Heat sinks

or the 6025F:
Online Catalog & Consulting

I used the 2714AF (MP3210P4AF) 40 primary windings and 600 secondary windings
http://www.freebits.nl/images/914foto_7.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2