How to change phono input capacitance on Rega Brio r

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I hope someone can help me out, I would like to change the phono input's capacitance of my Rega Brio r form its standard 220 pF to 47 pF as this figure would better suit my Ortofon 2M cartridge, but I don't have the slightest clue on how to do this...
Do you know if it's feasable and/or there are potential issues that may arise from doing this?
Do you have a schematic for the Brio r?
Could you please walk me through this? I have only ever soldered cables and I'm not in the least competent, do you think I should avoid doing this myself?
What parts should I use for best results? I don't mind employing boutique capacitors if it's worth it, I was told I should be looking for a 47 pF 'COG' ceramic cap.
Thank you very much for your help!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Without seeing the circuit we can't give specifics but essentially you are looking at replacing a capacitor that will already be present on the input to your desired value. This capacitor will be "across" the input to ground.

Maybe post a clear picture of the internals of the amp around the phono stage for starters

Thanks, I was actually going to gather as much info as possible at this stage because I don't have the time and the equipment to perform the operation at the moment, but I will try to post some pictures in the mean time.
I read that lowering the capacitance can make the phonosection more sensitive to RFI, do you think this might be a problem given the Brio r is an integrated?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would doubt RFI is going to be a problem unless you happen to use the amp in an area of high transmitter field strength. Even if it were an issue, there are other possible workarounds such as slipping a ferrite bead over incoming signal lead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.