New turntable: Technics 1200 vs rega rp6 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2013, 02:28 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Applied Fidelity improved Technics bearing.
Paul Hynes Design power supplies SR7EHD for the Technics turntable. Where is
the DIY power supply for the Technics turntable that is state of the art and
competes with the Paul Hynes?
Old 6th June 2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

As soon as I am able I'm splurging on a Technics SL-1200. Those were around when I was 21 and they'll be around in another 33 years when I'm 87. The Rega will be at the bottom of a trash heap....but what do I know? Those 21 year olds are way smarter.
Old 6th June 2013, 04:38 AM   #13
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

May I suggest another option?
Since major parts of the various Technics models are the same, as bearing, drive and tonearm, a different Technics -say a 3310 or a 5210- would come cheaper but offers the same.
No doubt about the basic qualities of the 1210 but its vastly overhyped and expensive. Its less hyped brethren are also great performers.
I got my 5210 in good condition for just 15€ on ebay. Stripped it, made a new plynth, serviced the electronics and mounted a Rega RB300 and a nice pickup.
Was still cheaper than a 1210 and probabely even an sonic improvement

jauu
Calvin

Last edited by Calvin; 6th June 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 6th June 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Calvin, your proposed option...

...makes good sense to me, particularly if the motor and bearings are interchangeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Hi,

May I suggest another option?
Since major parts of the various Technics models are the same, as bearing, drive and tonearm, a different Technics -say a 3310 or a 5210- would come cheaper but offers the same.
No doubt about the basic qualities of the 1210 but its vastly overhyped and expensive. Its less hyped brethren are also great performers.
I got my 5210 in good condition for just 15€ on ebay. Stripped it, made a new plynth, serviced the electronics and mounted a Rega RB300 and a nice pickup.
Was still cheaper than a 1210 and probabely even an sonic improvement

jauu
Calvin
And any comments that I may have made were not intended to offend (I don't think I slammed the SL12XX tables).

Having never experienced a great DD set-up (but still having fond memories of my first table, an Akai AP207 or 307 with a Goldring G820 cartridge), I won't dismiss them completely. And as stated, a respectable DD table will most likely be running 100 years from now. A Rega will too, as long as it is taken care of and belts and motors are available. The problem with the Technics is that Matsushita has ceased production so if spares are needed, they could become difficult to get hold of.

As far as a tonearm goes, many have reposted good results with an RB300 or other aftermarket arm.
Old 7th June 2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

well I couldn´t detect any offense at all.
Basically most of the Technics are the same with regard to bearing and motor.
Electronics differ more in kind of chipset and drive current. If one doesn´t need the fast speed-up and breake of the discotheca models one could perfectly happy with the home-hifi models.
This is a SL-5210 like I ebayed. The SL5210 belongs to the first Technics that employed Quartz control.
While the plinth and lid showed clear signs of age and wear, the important parts like the bearing were in mint condition. I stripped it, since I wanted to give it a new look.
Fortunately the unneccessary comfort as Repeat and other automatic functions are switched by a mechanical switch. I omitted with them just leaving two functions On-Off and 33-45. Using simple FilpFlops I replaced the remaining mechanical switches by small pushbuttons.
The original power supply, a low-quality transformer, putting out way too much voltage - with associated heat losses in the regulator-circuit, was replaced by a small encapsulated SMPS.
Old Electrolytics were replaced by new ones. PCB inspected, cleaned and serviced.
A new plinth was made, from sandwiched layers of wooden and damping materials, topped by a slate plate. The wooden plinth holds the motor and electronics, while the tonearm is held by the slate plate. Plinth and plate are separated by a soft layer.
The old lid was replaced by a new one which is a replacement part for Numark TTs. It allows to play the deck with lid on and certainly looks more stylish than the old brick-style lid. Besides it was also alot cheaper
The TT-platter unmounted, was ringing like a bell. I damped it with layers of self-adhering Bitumen. worked like a charm.
As tonearm I use an old Rega RB300 I had laying around for a while.
I stripped the old internal cabling and made a new one.
Especially for MC-Pickups balanced signal transmission offers certain advantages, so I mounted balanced Lemosa and unbalanced RCA/Cinch connectors into the back panel.
Last modifikation was a new excentrical counterweight for the Rega, since my Pickup was too heavy for the standard weight.
Four simple rubber feet, left overs from a amplifier casing finished the package.
All in all the costs were lower than the appearance might suggest

jauu
Calvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL-5210.jpg (61.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg MyTechnics 015.jpg (490.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg MyTechnics electronics 01s.jpg (285.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg MyTechnics front 01s.jpg (128.4 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg MyTechnics lid 01s.jpg (200.0 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg MyTechnics wo platter 01s.jpg (185.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Tonearm modified 01 small.jpg (63.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 7th June 2013, 10:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input guys. The choice (as i anticipated) is becoming more and more difficult. That is a very nice turntable you made there calvin by the way. I am very impressed indeed. and Nanook i have always dribbled over those turntables you posted pictures of. But being here in Australia the price of them is ridiculous.
Old 7th June 2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Well...despite my earlier comment about technics being around for another 30 years that was prior to finding out they've ceased production. The turntable I considered prior to technics was a Thorens TT. They are still being made and there upper quality TT's are supposedly better than a lot of the multi multi thousand dollar turntables. The nearest distributor is in Chicago with a showroom. I have to mark a trip there anyway, I'll have to see the Thorens TTs plus the other brands they offer. I'll be able to see there other offerings. As much as I'd like a TT I always gravitate towards the general poor quality sound you get from vinyl LP. Now I know I just will be shot down by vinyl purists but if you listened to vinyl as long as I have from the late 60's to the mid 80's you know that vinyl wears out. CD sonic quality was actually quite good and the CD itself lasted much longer than vinyl. I still have CDs made in the mid 80's that are sonically in good condition. Of course both media types were fragile in their own way and were easily damaged if not handled properly. The problem with vinyl was that no matter how hard you tried to keep them clean the records still developed clicks and pops and hiss as the vinyl wore out. But everybody's heard this before and everybody heard the best ways to preserve both. That being said ...even though I don't trust computer hard drives either storing and listening to high quality FLAC files or variations thereof seems to be the best source. Personally I've had HDD's die too. So I'm skeptical with that as a media source as well.

When large capacity SSD's become more affordable I think that may be the best sound source in the longest run.

Last edited by Sprags; 7th June 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 1st July 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this comment is late to the party, but

I recently sold my (completely wonderful) Rega Planar 25 after buying a SL-1200.

That decision was made for 2 main reasons -

1) The Technics has pace, drive, stability and timing that the Rega always has been shy of.
2) As I am a terminal DIYer, the Technics has much more ability to be tweaked and modified.

Essentially the Techie has something that the Rega will never have - a drive motor that is with few equals; and that is put into the music with authority. I'm sure I can voice the rest of it to emulate what the Rega does really well. (Which, arguably, is due to the superb Rega tonearms.)
Old 1st July 2013, 11:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Essentially the Techie has something that the Rega will never have - a drive motor that is with few equals; and that is put into the music with authority. I'm sure I can voice the rest of it to emulate what the Rega does really well. (Which, arguably, is due to the superb Rega tonearms.)
A Mitchell Tecnoarm would look pretty sweet on an SL1200.

jeff
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:53 AM   #20
rif is offline rif  United States
diyAudio Member

Another factor to consider - resale value and ease of sale. What are the chances that you'll want to try something else in the foreseeable future?

Hide this!Advertise here!