Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Needle replacement problems...

Hy guys...just bought a brand new needle for my Dual 1219.
It has a shure m91 mgd cartridge if I`m not mistaken...

Anyway...bought it replacet it with the new needle.

It sounds like $hit...the tonearm moves from left to right (can`t get it to stay in place) and the sound is crap...its like plowing through the vinyl.

What would the problem be? Is the needle bad? Does it need to be played like this for a few hours to ware it up a bit/

The guy I bought it from has 100% positive (over 200) feedbacks. And I do have on my dual 1226 the same type of needle on a shure m75 tyde D cartridge. So I know for a fact that the new needle is brand new. It does not have "the patina" the old neeedle does.
Old 6th April 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sound like the diamond tip is missing off of the shank. Very difficult to tell with the naked eye but the tip will look blunted or squared off if the diamond is missing.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

so in basic terms..the needle is wasted...right?

I guess I can`t fix that..no?

In other facts...how do I change the needle with an other? I have an old cartridge with the needle good. how do I extract THE NEEDLE?
Old 6th April 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuparumihairadu View Post
so in basic terms..the needle is wasted...right?

I guess I can`t fix that..no?

In other facts...how do I change the needle with an other? I have an old cartridge with the needle good. how do I extract THE NEEDLE?
Not practical.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:37 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Contact the seller, you may have purchased a defective replacement stylus.

Note that you cannot swap the diamond from one cantilever to another unless you are incredibly skilled and have the experience and proper tools.

If you are not absolutely sure of the cartridge you have installed on the turntable how can you be sure that you purchased the correct replacement stylus for it?

Is the table correctly set up? (Tracking force, anti-skate at minimum and preferably overhang?)

One other bit of advice would be to learn the correct terminology so that you can accurately describe what is going on as I'm a little confused by some of your comments.

www.Vinylengine.com is an incredible resource for those who play vinyl or aspire to do so. Highly recommended.
Old 7th April 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

the stylus is the one needed.

I have a Dual 1226 and 1219.
On the 1226 I have a Shure M75 in working condition.

The stylus orderd for the 1219 is identical with the one in the other turntable.
I saw "reproductions" like it on the italian ebay, german one etc.

Its for Shure cartridges. The same form etc.

Just my luck doh I guess. I think I can`t "give" it back...unlikely (I think) the seller would swap it and give me the money back.

I know how it sounds but I will try. I did had id for 2 days before testing it. He could argue that its my fault or something.

Wi`ll see....probably i`m going to order a complet cartridge. Thats life
Old 7th April 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hopefully you used paypal to pay for the stylus, if so please file a claim with them now, this will force the seller to acknowledge there is an issue with the part he sold you.

IMHO 2 days is a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait before testing, now it had been two months that would be a different matter.. Life comes first, and even a week or two IMO would be OK.

Note that new OEM stylus are still available for the M75 if you look around carefully. (Not on eBay)

Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!