Balanced Phono RCA Only - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 04:45 AM   #1
BRSHiFi is offline BRSHiFi  United States
Previously known as kingden

Default Balanced Phono RCA Only

My turntable has only RCA outputs (no XLR support) that cannot be detached from the unit. I am designing a fully balanced phono stage that works both with MM and MC cartridges, with a variable load feature for universal cartridge support.

An RCA cable has a hot and screen. The screen is a heavy duty shield that encircles the hot and connects to ground. If I treat the RCA cables as balanced cable the shield would become hot. XLR connecters have two hots and a shield.

Will hum be picked up since there will be no shield if I use an RCA cable as a balanced transmission line?

It seems like it would not because the hum would have to not be common to both hots. Anyone have experience with this?

Also I am concerned about capacitance since the cartridge I am using is a Shure MM with a 47k impedance.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:45 AM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneb View Post
My turntable has only RCA outputs (no XLR support) that cannot be detached from the unit....
does any cartridge/pickup have more than 2 wires for each channel ?
Old 30th March 2013, 08:14 AM   #3
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My turntable has only RCA outputs (no XLR support) that cannot be detached from the unit.
The same as many TTs/arms.

Quote:
I am designing a fully balanced phono stage ...
Why are you bothering to do this? What better SQ do you think you will obtain from having a "balanced" phono stage?

Quote:
... with a variable load feature for universal cartridge support.
All you need for this is 2 parallel pairs of input RCAs - 1 for changing load resistance, 1 (for MMs) for changing load capacitance. These RCA sockets take "loaded" plugs.

Regards,

Andy

Last edited by andyr; 30th March 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You can run the cartridge balanced, the gnd wire is then the shield, and a dual cartridge loading sets the midpoint, but this is rare as true balanced phono-stages are quite rare. some phono-stages even totally float the input and use the output gnd for shield. This can be a very very quiet (hum free) solution, but something I have not seen in any commercial designs. Downside on balanced input is the noise penalty, where it suffers compared to single-ended inputs.
Old 30th March 2013, 03:04 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There's ways to avoid the noise penalty and enjoy the greater noise pickup immunity of balanced. I see that you're in Evanston- if you want to do a bit of hacking and make your TT truly balanced, bring it on up.
Old 4th April 2013, 05:02 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Off topic posts deleted. Guys let's stick to the topic and not crap up other people's threads..

Hide this!Advertise here!