Bypass switch for builtin phono stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Psimon is offline Psimon  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Bypass switch for builtin phono stage

I'm considering the possibility of installing a switch to bypass the builtin phono stage on my Project Essential, so I can use it with my valve driven preamp. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of switch would be suitable and where to find one? I really would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 29th March 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default built in phono stage?

Did Project use to make an "Essential" with a built in phono pre? There website state that you need a seperate phono pre.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There are still 2 versions - one with and one without pre-amp. I didn't realise there wasn't a bypass switch on it. Starting to wish I'd just got the cheaper one.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It would probably easier to bypass the built in without adding a switch. Do you want the switch so you can easily try it both ways?... Do you have experience with soldering very fine tone arm wires? If not you should find a tech who is.....Have you been able to get to the built in pre? If so can you post a picture?
Old 1st April 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrenman View Post
It would probably easier to bypass the built in without adding a switch. Do you want the switch so you can easily try it both ways?... Do you have experience with soldering very fine tone arm wires? If not you should find a tech who is.....Have you been able to get to the built in pre? If so can you post a picture?
Yes I've accessed the built in preamp. I've actually received advice on another forum regarding the switch. I can solder reasonably well, but based on what you said perhaps I should do a few practice runs before I touch the wires on the unit.

But yes I want to be able to switch between the preamp and direct o/p. Thanks for you reply.

Simon
Old 1st April 2013, 08:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you are going to all this trouble I assume that you will be upgrading the TT cables as well. If so make sure that you use very low capacitance cables.

Hide this!Advertise here!