Cartridge nightmare's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2003, 08:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Actually, there are parasitic SCR's (or thyristors, as we call them here) all over the place in any integrated circuit with a semiconductive substrate, and almost all IC's have a semiconductive substrate. Some IC's have more sensitive SCR's than others, though. Some of the SCR's are connected straight between the positive and negative supply lines and can cause the IC's to self-destruct in seconds when the power supply is powerful enough.
Old 3rd December 2003, 03:14 PM   #12
pete.a is offline pete.a  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question Tested

Hi Guy's thanks for youre help on this quandry

I did some testing on this unit ages ago with a mate of mine using a pc based scope..and we didn't find much wrong on power up /down.
This is what puzzles me... could it be the pre causing the problem.
Old 4th December 2003, 05:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Pete - why not get in touch with White Noise Audio - it looks like their design - I have always found them helpful
Old 4th December 2003, 07:47 PM   #14
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

About 20 years ago I had an Ortophon cartridge. Can't recall the number, it was quite expensive for me in that time, around 200. It broke just a few weeks after the warranty period. I went to the shop and they told me that the warranty period was over. So I bought a new one, I was fairly happy with the sound. About nine months later the cartridge broke again, same problem, one of the channels died. Again I went to the shop and this time I had more luck with the warranty. The man told me it would take a couple of weeks to get things fixed for me. After a few weeks I phoned the guy but no one answered. It turned out the man had stopped his business, and retired. I never got the problem solved. Much later I heard that those cartridges had a production problem and most of them get broken within the year or so.

/Hugo
Old 5th December 2003, 03:00 PM   #15
pete.a is offline pete.a  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Linn and MM mkii

Thanks guy's

I've thought about contacting White Noise, as Alan quite correctly spotted the design. However i thought the prob was with the cartridges at first, as both two Music makers have gone and a linn K9
So thats what 's kind of bugging me..as it worked fine on my old Myryad int amp..but now plays up on my Willams Hart system. Its a shame because im missing vinyl replay, and not to blow Len Gregory's trumpet to much, but his MM mkii is one of the best carts around, plus he's a top bloke.
Im also thinking of building the Williams Hart phono stage..should'nt cost too much as iv'e got most of the bits for one anyway. And it goes hand in hand with most of the other kit's from that range.

Hide this!Advertise here!