4 into 1 Phono - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4 into 1 Phono

Now I'm convinced that I need to build a 4 into 1, Line Level, Phono Switcher.

I need 4x Phono RIAA pre-amp ckt. boards. I also need to be able to switch IN/OUT a MC Head Amp to Any of the 4 Phono ckts.

I know this is expensive, but I need Quality!!!! I'm a Vinylphile!!!

MLStrand56

Old 25th March 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A vinylphile is one thing, but what have you got? 8 ears?
Old 26th March 2013, 01:20 AM   #3
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLStrand56 View Post

Now I'm convinced that I need to build a 4 into 1, Line Level, Phono Switcher.
At line level, this shouldn't be a problem: Lorlin make a 5-in/1-out stereo switch, which is used for source selection in my preamp.

Quote:

I need 4x Phono RIAA pre-amp ckt. boards. I also need to be able to switch IN/OUT a MC Head Amp to any of the 4 Phono ckts.
If you need to be able to switch IN/OUT an MC head amp to any one of the 4 phono circuits ... this must be done at MC signal level (not line level). IME, you will degrade the signal by inserting any kind of switch at these low signal levels.

So if you're an "audiophile" ... you won't do this.

Regards,

Andy
Old 26th March 2013, 01:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would switch the outputs of the pre amps.
Old 26th March 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

The OP did not say the 4 RIAA boards will be identical. Perhaps his intention is to compare them, or using the right sounding one for each LP
Old 26th March 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default 4 Turntables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post
A vinylphile is one thing, but what have you got? 8 ears?
No I have two Yamaha PX-3's, one Bang & Olfsen 4004, & one Technics SL-1400 Mk2. I have various cartridges for different kinds of music or LP condition.

Not 8 ears, but 10 ch's. Five x Yamaha MX-1000U Amps.

MLStrand56
Old 26th March 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default MC switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
If you need to be able to switch IN/OUT an MC head amp to any one of the 4 phono circuits ... this must be done at MC signal level (not line level). IME, you will degrade the signal by inserting any kind of switch at these low signal levels. So if you're an "audiophile" ... you won't do this.
Andy
Of course the MC amp (or step up XMFR) must be inserted before the phono EQ ckt!!! I know the MC amp can be switched in/out (probably electronically). If not, how do you explain the MC/MM switch on many pre-amps with only one phono ckt?

I never said or implied that this would be easy. I know for certain that it's Not impossible! I just don't give up as easily as you apparently do.

MLStrand56
Old 26th March 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Output Selector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I would switch the outputs of the pre amps.
The outputs of my Pre-Amp (Sony TA-E2000ESD) go to a pair (L & R) of Yamaha DSP-1's. Or are you talking about a line level output selector After the Phono EQ ckt? That's where I would put the selector switch. I think a 4-pos rotary switch would work great.

MLStrand56
Old 26th March 2013, 05:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Identical RIAA boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
The OP did not say the 4 RIAA boards will be identical. Perhaps his intention is to compare them, or using the right sounding one for each LP
I think that 4 x identical RIAA boards is the best way to go.

Compare what? I do use each turntable differently. Also the condition of the LP dictates which TT & Cartridge I use.

MLStrand56
Old 26th March 2013, 07:38 PM   #10
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Of course the MC amp (or step up XMFR) must be inserted before the phono EQ ckt!!! I know the MC amp can be switched in/out (probably electronically). If not, how do you explain the MC/MM switch on many pre-amps with only one phono ckt?
Yes, some components have an MC/MM switch - a mate of mine has one. However, because he only listens to HOMI Grado (his RR1), he removed the switch - and he said the sounded better, as a result.

IOW, the switch - when it was in place - was degrading the cartridge signal.

Quote:

I never said or implied that this would be easy. I know for certain that it's Not impossible! I just don't give up as easily as you apparently do.

It's not impossible to switch the cartridge input signal - but if you do this, the sound will be degraded, compared to if there was no switch. Therefore I do not do it, because I like to have the best sound I can get. You are free to make a different choice.

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!