O/L Maxon motor. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default O/L Maxon motor.

I feel almost ashamed to say that I bought one of these power supply/motor upgrades, luckily not at full price. My question is does the maxon motor need lubricating? Got it second hand off ebay & it does look in good condition but not sure about oiling it. Couldn't find any info on the maxon website & I wouldn't trust the guy that builds these to have even bothered to find out. Thanks all.
Old 24th March 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
dario54 is offline dario54  Israel
diyAudio Member

I think you can oil your Maxon motor.

ONE drop (and no more...) on the top and that's all, IMHO.

Use a specific oil (I used a drop from a siringue full of oil made for Thorens motors)
Old 24th March 2013, 07:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario54 View Post
I think you can oil your Maxon motor.

ONE drop (and no more...) on the top and that's all, IMHO.

Use a specific oil (I used a drop from a siringue full of oil made for Thorens motors)
Thanks for the reply. Did you add it while the motor was running or off?
Old 24th March 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Off.
Which version of the PSU is it. The v7 advanced can be improved quite a lot, new diode bridge, better smoothing cap and replacing the resistor with a ring of two CCS. it is however still basically a piece of ****. Christ knows how he didn't get his *** sued, he sold them for years as active feedback controlled psu's when they appear to be nothing of the sort.
Old 24th March 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Off.
Which version of the PSU is it. The v7 advanced can be improved quite a lot, new diode bridge, better smoothing cap and replacing the resistor with a ring of two CCS. it is however still basically a piece of ****. Christ knows how he didn't get his *** sued, he sold them for years as active feedback controlled psu's when they appear to be nothing of the sort.
Don't start me on all that!!! The label underneath says its a v6. I did read a lot about these on forums because despite what he says, there's only one real review & that reviewer said the 180 pound upgrade 9 volt kissed by vestal virgins was a good idea!!!! Just goes to show reviews are written mostly for the benefit of the vendor. After reading an old thread where there was a bit of debate about these having feedback, I have tried to slow the platter down & it does compensate for it. You're right though, I can't believe what a cheap'n'nasty piece of junk they are. No printing on the 2 pound ebay case, no knobs to adjust speed. You have to accurately hold a screw driver while holding a lamp & watching a strobe lamp!!!! This is the advanced version & I paid 240 for it & I still feel I've been kicked in the teeth. I wish someone on here would build a competing product so we have a better choice. I'm all for someone making a profit but this thing is just beyond belief. I have 3 hobbies & we seem to have fallen into the trap that if it works, we'll pay regardless of true value. Toothpicks work but they're not 20 pounds just because of that!!!

Even the Chinese have realised how stupid we are, I was looking for a tachometer & in an ebay Chinese shop it was 43 Quid. I got the same one from the UK for 13.

As for the sound quality. I fixed a problem I had with my platter, teflon thrust plate & a 7 kilo platter had turned it into its own brake. I fixed that with a lignum plate & the sound quality increase was tremendous just running it with a tiny dc motor at 4.5 volts & adjusting belt tension to get the right speed. Adding this thing has made no difference at all. I've never owned a Linn LP12 but I can only assume the sound is improved because the bearing & platter need more torque than the AC motor can provide?

Him being sued? I was actually thinking about this the other day. Microsoft were fined 500 million euro's because adding windows media player meant it was LESS LIKELY people would choose another player if they bought a windows installed computer. Assuming this guy doesn't have his motors especially made, doubtful as he doesn't even want to run to some knobs & printing, hasn't he removed my choice to buy the motor myself by sanding all id off & the same applies to the repairs if he really rubs off resistor values?
Old 24th March 2013, 08:26 PM   #6
dario54 is offline dario54  Israel
diyAudio Member

Did you add it while the motor was running or off?

Off, but I don't think it make any difference...
Old 24th March 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arckivio View Post
I've never owned a Linn LP12 but I can only assume the sound is improved because the bearing & platter need more torque than the AC motor can provide?
That doesn't make any sense.

jeff
Old 24th March 2013, 09:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post

jeff
Why doesn't it?
Old 24th March 2013, 09:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post

jeff
If an LP12 has a very tight tolerance bearing, the extra torque from the maxon motor would improve sound quality wouldn't it? All I know is this thing did nothing to improve sound quality for me because my platter is really easy to turn once I got rid of the teflon disc.
Old 24th March 2013, 09:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario54 View Post
Did you add it while the motor was running or off?

Off, but I don't think it make any difference...
I put a drop in now with it off & I'll leave it til tomorrow to turn it on.

Hide this!Advertise here!