WOW & FLUTTER or maybe something else? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2013, 10:36 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
OK so you are going to get sorted soon.

Just one thing came to mind
I had Salas Simplistic and is a really good phono stage but I could not listen to same records anymore.
could this be the case?
This is certainly a possibility as my problem seems repeatable & the pre-amp is new too & obviously I've never tried it with another turntable. Definitely a few good suggestions on here. Borrowing another turntable seems a good one as is your software. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:15 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Right, while I wait to be able to try some of the suggestions put forward, I've been fiddling. It has to be with headphones because it's late here in the UK but I may have come up with something.

The motor is mounted in its housing with 3 screws. Between the 3 screws & the underside of the housing there are 3 tiny rubber grommets that hold the motor isolated from under the top aluminium housing. This also makes it compliant & although I can't see or feel it moving, is it possible this could be causing the weird decay to certain notes? I can definitely hear a difference if I put my finger on the motor screw furthest away from the turntable & push down to remove all possible movement. The pulley is wide enough for the O ring not to touch it at any point. I've been at this for a couple of weeks now & I've become so biased in my own tiny brain to listen out for the bad things that I'm not sure but I will keep playing with it to see if I can just start enjoying the music.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:49 AM   #23
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, please... you're going all ga-ga about theories and ideas, yet the elephant in the living room is the need for a substitution test. Go to a friend's house, invite him or her over for drinks, have them carry the swap-turntable on their lap, and try it out.

Until you know you HAVE a problem, why all the blubbering around with abstreuse theory after abstreuse theory? Swap-test, my man! ...

Unless of course, you really secretly just love to get all these suggestions, and have endless fruitless "stuff" to think about.

Be a good lad and do a swap.
No more talk-talk.

As one of my really smart profs in university said, "It only takes one really remarkable data point to throw a whole century's theory out the window, no matter how beautiful it is"

Now go get that data point.

GoatGuy
Old 26th February 2013, 12:55 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
Oh, please... you're going all ga-ga about theories and ideas, yet the elephant in the living room is the need for a substitution test. Go to a friend's house, invite him or her over for drinks, have them carry the swap-turntable on their lap, and try it out.

Until you know you HAVE a problem, why all the blubbering around with abstreuse theory after abstreuse theory? Swap-test, my man! ...

Unless of course, you really secretly just love to get all these suggestions, and have endless fruitless "stuff" to think about.

Be a good lad and do a swap.
No more talk-talk.

As one of my really smart profs in university said, "It only takes one really remarkable data point to throw a whole century's theory out the window, no matter how beautiful it is"

Now go get that data point.

GoatGuy
I am going to to do that as well but in the meantime.......I'll keep my elephant because I don't like goats!
Old 26th February 2013, 06:51 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yeah goats go baa baa bee and all they want is ear theyr own voice

Down with goats I say.

And now to keep going Ga GA maybe same insite of what caused the elephant is ...
What you got in your system now?
Old 26th February 2013, 07:19 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default It's official!!!

I'm on a go slow. I've had 2 friends come round of the musical variety & both picked up on what I was hearing without prior knowledge of the issue. I wish I had the skill to build my own DC or AC controller with a better motor but it's off to Origin Live for me.

I've been searching on the forum since I realised speed might be an issue but all the threads are beyond me. It's this chip here & that chip there & it's all fish & chips to me. The only thing I could probably manage is to get a better motor & a PWM controller but I read they're not a good idea, although, someone has started a thread today that a PWM works for him. Thanks guys for all the suggestions anyway. At least they kept me busy & it will be interesting to hear just how bad it is with the test record.

Hide this!Advertise here!