2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2013, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits

Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman
Old 6th February 2013, 03:09 AM   #2
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera View Post
Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman
If you can't be bothered getting the parts together from various sources then you need to choose a complete kit.

So, yes, the K&K is one contender ... but I'm not sure how it compares to the Boozehound. Also have a look at what Jim Hagerman provides (I believe he can provide the complete kits, or even half-completed kits).

Good luck,

Andy
Old 6th February 2013, 07:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

are op-amp based phono stages, such as the ELLIOT P06 necessarily inferior sounding to the Boozehound and others mentioned here?
Old 6th February 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

VSPS
OPENAMP1

two more options...
Old 6th February 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
are op-amp based phono stages, such as the ELLIOT P06 necessarily inferior sounding to the Boozehound and others mentioned here?
That is a heavily-argued issue, IMO.

Sure, 2 different opamp-based phono stages can sound very different - as I see it that's to do with:
* how the circuit is implemented, and
* the quality of the components used.

But I suspect a good discrete phono stage will sound better than a good opamp-based phono stage.

Regards,

Andy
Old 7th February 2013, 12:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
But I suspect a good discrete phono stage will sound better than a good opamp-based phono stage.
I hope so as I recently replaced a LM4562/OPA627 one with a Boozehound Labs phono (with a few tweaks)

And yes I think it sounds better.
Old 7th February 2013, 03:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Then it seems the decision is between Boozehound and Pearl 2. Has anyone experience comparing the two soundwise?
Old 7th February 2013, 05:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew
Old 7th February 2013, 03:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default cart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewaudio View Post
I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew
Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?
Old 7th February 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?
Or long cables or a low impedance next stage (=<10k)?

It is a simple JFET and it has a big drain res so it can't drive toooo much and will have a 3k output impedance.

I assume your tube pre is a "simple" and, obviously, discrete design so I would contrast it with the complexity of an opamp design. I'd go for the Elliot or PMA's

OPENAMP1 - MM phono preamp open project

P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

Got the Pearl2 PCB but haven't started yet? (Pearl1.5)

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 7th February 2013 at 06:20 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!