diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/229433-2nd-phono-stage-advice-looking-kits.html)

noviygera 6th February 2013 03:25 AM

2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits
 
Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman

andyr 6th February 2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noviygera (Post 3357802)
Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman

If you can't be bothered getting the parts together from various sources then you need to choose a complete kit.

So, yes, the K&K is one contender ... but I'm not sure how it compares to the Boozehound. Also have a look at what Jim Hagerman provides (I believe he can provide the complete kits, or even half-completed kits).


Good luck,

Andy

noviygera 6th February 2013 08:13 PM

are op-amp based phono stages, such as the ELLIOT P06 necessarily inferior sounding to the Boozehound and others mentioned here?

noviygera 7th February 2013 12:08 AM

VSPS
OPENAMP1

two more options...

andyr 7th February 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noviygera (Post 3358751)
are op-amp based phono stages, such as the ELLIOT P06 necessarily inferior sounding to the Boozehound and others mentioned here?

That is a heavily-argued issue, IMO. ;)

Sure, 2 different opamp-based phono stages can sound very different - as I see it that's to do with:
* how the circuit is implemented, and
* the quality of the components used.

But I suspect a good discrete phono stage will sound better than a good opamp-based phono stage. :)


Regards,

Andy

KenTripp 7th February 2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyr (Post 3359080)
But I suspect a good discrete phono stage will sound better than a good opamp-based phono stage. :)

I hope so as I recently replaced a LM4562/OPA627 one with a Boozehound Labs phono (with a few tweaks) :)




And yes I think it sounds better.

noviygera 7th February 2013 04:53 AM

Then it seems the decision is between Boozehound and Pearl 2. Has anyone experience comparing the two soundwise?

Drewaudio 7th February 2013 06:27 AM

I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew

noviygera 7th February 2013 04:01 PM

cart?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewaudio (Post 3359353)
I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew

Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?

AudioLapDance 7th February 2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noviygera (Post 3359816)
Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?

Or long cables or a low impedance next stage (=<10k)?

It is a simple JFET and it has a big drain res so it can't drive toooo much and will have a 3k output impedance.

I assume your tube pre is a "simple" and, obviously, discrete design so I would contrast it with the complexity of an opamp design. I'd go for the Elliot or PMA's

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...n-project.html

P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...earl1-5-a.html


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2