2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last question:

I saw some claims about the sonic benefits of coupling the gain stages with transformers rather than capacitors. Does this benefit apply to phonos like Pearl and Boozehound and improve the performance?

Yes, I've read the same. IMO this statement is naive, at best, but certainly misleading. :p Sure, the best coupling cap is no cap - but they're there to prevent DC offset passing through to the next stage; if transformers do this, then they have their own constraints which must be addressed.

Regards,

Andy

Transformer coupling is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

You basically trade the pros/cons of caps for the pros/cons of transformers ...

At your stage in the game just go for the BH and then slowly build, one upgrade at a time; evaluating each change as you go. You don't want to throw a bunch of stuff together and ...

Transformers can have one particular use as a gain stage for MC carts. You step-up the veeeeeery small signal from these carts then you feed it into a phono pre. But this isn't your case: MM with no gain problems.

I've got about 30 hours on my BH labs pre now, I see no reason to change anything in it. When it was new I felt it lacked a bit in the highs but that has turned around. Placing it next to one of my monoblocks I picked up some hum and it took me a while to figure out it was picking it up from the transformer in the monoblock, I moved it and all is well. I love this little amp, it was money well spent.

Did you read the latest Analog Planet about the Hagerman Bugle project on Kickstarter? For a $100 you get a complete kit, which you can adapt to your own choosing > $150 and the kit is complete for either MM or MC. If the project doesn't make goal your money is refunded.

Cool

Sachin, can you run this from a power supply rather than batteries and if so any recommended configuration?

Yes why not.We have designed one power supply based on LM317/337 with adjustable output.You can adjust the output by 5k trimmers and DMM.I am running my CNC Phonostage,Pass B1 and SSP with only one Power supply.You can see Power supply pics here Introducing the (mini) Tower of Power - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums and here Another Super High End Phono Stage! No expense spared... - Page 72 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,
Sachin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.