2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2013, 03:21 AM   #21
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera View Post
Last question:

I saw some claims about the sonic benefits of coupling the gain stages with transformers rather than capacitors. Does this benefit apply to phonos like Pearl and Boozehound and improve the performance?
Yes, I've read the same. IMO this statement is naive, at best, but certainly misleading. Sure, the best coupling cap is no cap - but they're there to prevent DC offset passing through to the next stage; if transformers do this, then they have their own constraints which must be addressed.

Regards,

Andy
Old 12th February 2013, 03:30 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Transformer coupling is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

You basically trade the pros/cons of caps for the pros/cons of transformers ...

At your stage in the game just go for the BH and then slowly build, one upgrade at a time; evaluating each change as you go. You don't want to throw a bunch of stuff together and ...

Transformers can have one particular use as a gain stage for MC carts. You step-up the veeeeeery small signal from these carts then you feed it into a phono pre. But this isn't your case: MM with no gain problems.
Old 12th February 2013, 02:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Agreed with the above! thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Dave C2 is offline Dave C2  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got about 30 hours on my BH labs pre now, I see no reason to change anything in it. When it was new I felt it lacked a bit in the highs but that has turned around. Placing it next to one of my monoblocks I picked up some hum and it took me a while to figure out it was picking it up from the transformer in the monoblock, I moved it and all is well. I love this little amp, it was money well spent.
Old 12th February 2013, 08:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

thanks for the good feedback.

Has anyone tried paralleling more JFETs in the Boozehound, as described in the Pass Labs Pearl documentation? This supposedly lowers the distortion.
Old 12th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Dave C2 is offline Dave C2  United States
diyAudio Member

That might be an interesting experiment but I have not heard any noticeable distortion in my BH pre.
Old 16th February 2013, 06:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Did you read the latest Analog Planet about the Hagerman Bugle project on Kickstarter? For a $100 you get a complete kit, which you can adapt to your own choosing > $150 and the kit is complete for either MM or MC. If the project doesn't make goal your money is refunded.

Cool
Old 17th February 2013, 11:53 AM   #28
fap is offline fap  Australia
diyAudio Member

G'day all, I'm a big fan of the ESP P06 and I consider it 'reference standard'. I have heard nothing better, either commercially made or DIY. Regards, Felix.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fap View Post
G'day all, I'm a big fan of the ESP P06 and I consider it 'reference standard'. I have heard nothing better, either commercially made or DIY. Regards, Felix.
Do you know if you can still order the PCB and parts?
Old 10th September 2013, 05:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallangryboy View Post
Do you know if you can still order the PCB and parts?
I can provide PCBs for CNC MM Phonostage search googlr for CNC Phonostage ad you will find many uild threads.Its a high end phonostage can be built on few $$.Let me know if anyone interested.

Regards,
Sachin

Hide this!Advertise here!