2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2013, 09:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

>>P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

can you explain what you mean by that?
Old 7th February 2013, 10:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera View Post
>>P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

can you explain what you mean by that?
Sorry, that is a bit cryptic!

The circuits are similar (gain stage, passive riaa [BH or Pearl], another gain stage) and build on each other: boozehound --> pearl1 --> pearl2. As well the Pearl2 PCB has a simple +24v reg on it, perfect for our progression.

boozehound.png
pearl1 no ps.png
pearl2.png

1) Buy the Pearl2 PCB and matched JFETs from PassDIY. Using 4 of the FETs, build a boozehound with the 24V reg. You'll have to decide on the BH arrangement of riaa components or the Pearl arrangement. Enjoy!

2) Add the extra FETs and parts for the Pearl1 like I did:

Got the Pearl2 PCB but haven't started yet? (Pearl1.5)

Enjoy!

3) Add in the second stage and negative supply for the Pearl2 .... reaaaaaaally enjoy!

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 7th February 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

AudioLapDance,

thanks for the response! I am not keen on reading circuits and translating that to a predictable sonic result. So I would like to ask you:

What does the Pearl 2 and Pearl 1 have that Boozhound does not have in terms of sound quality? Even theoretically. Am I going to actually use that "additional" in my application, which is using only MM cart and running the phono into line in of my pre-amp. I will NOT use the phono section to drive my amps.

So in that application will the Boozhound be just as good or does the Pearl 2 have other sonic advantages that I can use to advantage? I plan to use SLA batteries to drive this new phono stage, by the way.

thanks much,
Herman

Last edited by noviygera; 7th February 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioLapDance View Post
Or long cables or a low impedance next stage (=<10k)?

It is a simple JFET and it has a big drain res so it can't drive toooo much and will have a 3k output impedance.

I assume your tube pre is a "simple" and, obviously, discrete design so I would contrast it with the complexity of an opamp design. I'd go for the Elliot or PMA's

OPENAMP1 - MM phono preamp open project

P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

Got the Pearl2 PCB but haven't started yet? (Pearl1.5)
I'm not an expert in these matters....the cartridge was a denon dl-110, cables to the preamp were shortish (1m) and the preamp input was 100k.

I'm very happy with the octal cornet. Anyone want to buy a BHL?

Andrew
Old 8th February 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewaudio View Post
I'm not an expert in these matters....the cartridge was a denon dl-110, cables to the preamp were shortish (1m) and the preamp input was 100k.
That sounds good, so set-up wasn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewaudio View Post

I'm very happy with the octal cornet. Anyone want to buy a BHL?

Andrew
Sell it to noviygera! Everybody wins!
Old 8th February 2013, 05:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviygera View Post

So in that application will the Boozhound be just as good or does the Pearl 2 have other sonic advantages that I can use to advantage? I plan to use SLA batteries to drive this new phono stage, by the way.
Sounds like you want to get up-and-going so go with the boozehound. Do you know the input impedance of your preamp?

At worst, it's a great little circuit that sounds good and can serve as the base for experimentation.

At best, there is some synergy between the Russian paper in oil caps and the ultra-simple circuit that make a great phono pre.

Later look at the Pass Pearl1 document:
pass pearl phono.pdf

It goes over some of the technical shortcomings of such a simple circuit and how to minimize them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 8th February 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Later you can try adding onto the BH PCB or (... I'm a broken record!)

And yes, the Pearl1 'should' sound better than the BH and the Pearl2 sounds better than the Pearl1. But there is no Pearl 1 or 2 kits so go with the BH kit or the Elliot kit.

Last edited by AudioLapDance; 8th February 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Dave C2 is offline Dave C2  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a Boozehound a couple of weeks ago, it really rocks! Good solid bass and delicate highs, using an Ortofon 2M Blue with it. With my old Onkyo pre I was using a subwoofer but took it out of the system with the Boozehound.
Old 11th February 2013, 03:49 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

thanks for the feedback. I will try this phono.
Old 12th February 2013, 03:03 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Last question:

I saw some claims about the sonic benefits of coupling the gain stages with transformers rather than capacitors. Does this benefit apply to phonos like Pearl and Boozehound and improve the performance?

Hide this!Advertise here!