DIY Phono Pre- Boozehound OR Elliot P06? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2013, 04:38 AM   #11
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

I've built the boozehound. After break in it was clearly better than the phono stage in my Carver C1 (which was better than my phono stage in a 90's Rotel integrated). Even after I upgraded the opamps and caps in the c1 the boozehound killed it. I run it off 16 AA batteries...it seems sensitive to voltage. 22-26V it's good. After that it drops in gain and SQ. I'd like to try a linear supply with it someday.

Highly recommend the boozehound. Seems expensive till you realize there are 4 matched toshiba 2sk170's in there and PIO caps.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:50 AM   #12
garpt is offline garpt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
I've built the boozehound. After break in it was clearly better than the phono stage in my Carver C1 (which was better than my phono stage in a 90's Rotel integrated). Even after I upgraded the opamps and caps in the c1 the boozehound killed it. I run it off 16 AA batteries...it seems sensitive to voltage. 22-26V it's good. After that it drops in gain and SQ. I'd like to try a linear supply with it someday.

Highly recommend the boozehound. Seems expensive till you realize there are 4 matched toshiba 2sk170's in there and PIO caps.
Agreed. It definitely beats my Lehmann (early) Black Cube and Phonomena.
I also run batteries, 2 12volt SLA batteries. I've run as low as 18VDC, and I agree 22 volts (or up to 24) is definitely the sweet spot. I am still building other DIY preamps because it's fun and inexpensive. What I would like to gain, over the Boozehound, is:
*Better mid definition
*Although good bass extension, a bit flabby at times- Tighter Bass.
High end is good, but perhaps a bit better extension- a bit of rolloff noticed.

This is mostly "nitpicking", as for $90, it is already beating $600 preamps.
Not bad!!

-Gary
Old 11th March 2013, 02:35 PM   #13
garpt is offline garpt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiorasp View Post
Yes, there are pcbs available.

On Pavel's homepage click on pricelist:

Pavel Macura audiopage
I emailed Pavel-
Unfortunately, he is busy with other ventures right now and not producing any more PCB's. And I don't trust my skills in assembling without a pre- etched PCB. But I really like the looks of that design, with all those J-FET's it must sound really nice!
I found a PCB project on Ebay (from Israel, I believe). It uses 3 AD706 op-amps.
Not sure what the third IC is (Buffer?) but it is an interesting looking design, so for $10, I said "what the heck?"
Is anyone familiar with that model- OR the Analog Devices 706 op-amp for a use such as this? There is frightfully little on the internet about this design, Or that op-amp.

Thanks!
Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!