rega arm rewire - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
GKF is offline GKF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default rega arm rewire

guys i'm in the process of rewiring a 80's rega rb300.
any of you know what i may be doing wrong?
removed the rubber plug near the cartridge end but nothing i do will let me remove the din plug at the base of the arm.
i removed the set screw and still can't seem to budge the din plug.
any thoughts?
Old 17th January 2013, 01:47 AM   #2
cdebien is offline cdebien  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi GKF,

I you need to remove entire the old wire follow theses steps.

- Remove the plug on the base arm
- Cut the wire
- Remove the rubber plug behind de cartridge
- Remove the weight stud to see inside the wire. Take care to the small ground clip and don't miss it
- Pull gently to wire to remove them from the arm

After, this reinsert your new wires. Be patient.

Cyr-Marc
Old 17th January 2013, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKF View Post
guys i'm in the process of rewiring a 80's rega rb300.
any of you know what i may be doing wrong?
This document may be of some interest:

http://www.vinylengine.com/hotwiredrega.pdf

jeff
Old 17th January 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
This document may be of some interest:

http://www.vinylengine.com/hotwiredrega.pdf

jeff
thanks guys for your thoughts
jeff this helps more then you know tank you for the link. this is my first time with the vinylengine site .
awesome looking read so far.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The vinylengine.com is a great resource. Good luck with the arm.

jeff
Old 17th January 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you take the lock-screw out of the side of the arm-pillar base the plastic plug will come out. There is nothing else locking it in place. It's not a DIN plug but just a plastic bung that holds the tone-arm cable.

Usually it's a firm fit but not really solid but maybe you've got one that's a tighter fit than most. Just pull it! It will come out. The worst that can happen is that you snap the wires but you're going to do that anyway.

Be aware that inside the arm pillar there is a thin central hollow shaft that the arm leads pass through. There are rubber rings inside the shaft that the cables go through. If you pull the old wires out it is hard to get the new wires through the rings and get them back in the right places. It's best to use the old wires to pull the new ones through.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
If you take the lock-screw out of the side of the arm-pillar base the plastic plug will come out. There is nothing else locking it in place. It's not a DIN plug but just a plastic bung that holds the tone-arm cable.

Usually it's a firm fit but not really solid but maybe you've got one that's a tighter fit than most. Just pull it! It will come out. The worst that can happen is that you snap the wires but you're going to do that anyway.

Be aware that inside the arm pillar there is a thin central hollow shaft that the arm leads pass through. There are rubber rings inside the shaft that the cables go through. If you pull the old wires out it is hard to get the new wires through the rings and get them back in the right places. It's best to use the old wires to pull the new ones through.
thanks
last night i tried this again with no luck, so after speaking to gene at take five audio here in canada, i grabbed a pair of needle nose and yanked the plastic plug out.
i destroyed it in the process. it looked to have a retailing compound locking it in.
anyway it's now removed and gene tells me he has a cardas replacement din plug for retrofit into a rega.
i'm going to order some 1877 litz wire , 1877 rodendium clips, mogami 2534 wire , vampire lrca7 locking rca's and a atlas 90deg din plug.
i'll post pictures as i get the items in and start down the rewire road.
thanks guys for all your thoughts
Old 18th January 2013, 02:27 PM   #8
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Rewiring makes a difference. I went for silver internal and copper external because I felt that silver right through was too lean and bright and copper right through was too warm. Worked out fine. Has a similar overall tonal balance to the original cable but is cleaner and more detailed.

Have to considered stripping the paint off it? Makes as big a difference as the rewire and if you've got the arm apart anyway it's easy enough to do.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
cdebien is offline cdebien  Canada
diyAudio Member

Personnaly I don't use solid wire tone arm in RB300 or other tone arm where the wire are inside the arm and go to the base arm via a very, very small hole (aka RB 300) because du to wire rigidity the bias tracking is not good. I suggest to you to use stranded wire where they are more "flexible". Also, why you don't buy a sufficient lenght of wire to go directly to your preamplifier. At this time you save some money for the DIN male/female connectors and you increase the quality of your audio signal (where this one is very very sensitive).

For your RB 300, if you scrap the plastic plug on the base arm and if you replace the entire wire with a sufficient lenght to go to your preamplifier, you can replace the plastic plug by a cork wine cap cut in a small disk with a hole in the middle where you wire tone arm pass through the hole.

This is 2 cents.

Cyr-Marc
Old 18th January 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebien View Post
Personnaly I don't use solid wire tone arm in RB300 or other tone arm where the wire are inside the arm and go to the base arm via a very, very small hole (aka RB 300) because du to wire rigidity the bias tracking is not good. I suggest to you to use stranded wire where they are more "flexible". Also, why you don't buy a sufficient lenght of wire to go directly to your preamplifier. At this time you save some money for the DIN male/female connectors and you increase the quality of your audio signal (where this one is very very sensitive).

For your RB 300, if you scrap the plastic plug on the base arm and if you replace the entire wire with a sufficient lenght to go to your preamplifier, you can replace the plastic plug by a cork wine cap cut in a small disk with a hole in the middle where you wire tone arm pass through the hole.

This is 2 cents.

Cyr-Marc
fantastic idea, i love it. thats what makes audio a non hated love affair .keep the ideas coming.

Hide this!Advertise here!