rega arm rewire - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 04:06 PM   #11
MrPig is offline MrPig  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know what kind of wire the silver wire is but it's quite flexible so I don't think it's solid. The copper wire is multi-strand. I tend not to use solid cables, either silver or copper, because I typically don't like the sound of them. I prefer copper wire to silver too but when I tried an arm with all copper it was just a bit too warm sounding.

I've never used an arm that had a single run of cable from the pins to the amp. In theory I can see the logic in it but there are down-sides too. For a start, the wire inside the arm is very thin and for practical reasons I think that maybe a stronger one for the external cable is prudent. I also don't think that one little solder connection is that harmful to the sound. At the moment I'm using a step-up transformer so I've got a lot of connections between my cartridge and pre-amp, seems to be working ok.

I've never seen a Rega arm with a DIN plug in the pillar, is that something that was fitted at a later date? All of the arms I've seen have a plastic bung that the external cables pass trough with the internal wire soldered on to them at a tiny pcb inside the bung.
Old 18th January 2013, 05:55 PM   #12
GKF is offline GKF  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
I don't know what kind of wire the silver wire is but it's quite flexible so I don't think it's solid. The copper wire is multi-strand. I tend not to use solid cables, either silver or copper, because I typically don't like the sound of them. I prefer copper wire to silver too but when I tried an arm with all copper it was just a bit too warm sounding.

I've never used an arm that had a single run of cable from the pins to the amp. In theory I can see the logic in it but there are down-sides too. For a start, the wire inside the arm is very thin and for practical reasons I think that maybe a stronger one for the external cable is prudent. I also don't think that one little solder connection is that harmful to the sound. At the moment I'm using a step-up transformer so I've got a lot of connections between my cartridge and pre-amp, seems to be working ok.

I've never seen a Rega arm with a DIN plug in the pillar, is that something that was fitted at a later date? All of the arms I've seen have a plastic bung that the external cables pass trough with the internal wire soldered on to them at a tiny pcb inside the bung.
my rb300 was bought new in 83 days after my purchase of a heybrook tt2.
it has a male 5 pin plug and the rca cable has a female 5 pin 90deg gray plug that plugs into it on out to the rca's.the salesman had to order it for me and my heybrook tt2 needs . when it came in it had 4 spacers to lift it high enough to clear the heybrook thick platter and the wiring was like this right in the rega factory box.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

That's interesting. I had no idea they made them like that once. That must have been a very early RB300 as they only came out around that time. I had a Planer3 in the early eighties and it had the captive cable typical of all of he other arms I've seen.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
That's interesting. I had no idea they made them like that once. That must have been a very early RB300 as they only came out around that time. I had a Planer3 in the early eighties and it had the captive cable typical of all of he other arms I've seen.
i remember like it was yesterday ( 30 years ago ) wow.
i had to wait for the first ones to be released which took 12 weeks delivery. the heybrook was still new at that time even to the point that i had a real time to get a blank arm board for it . both took the same time . i was told at the time i was one of the first in canada to preorder the arm. when the box came is was ser # 00011. this was on a sticker on the box.
both these have been the only items in my system that have never changed in 30 years.
both look like the day they were bought. i will never sell these.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Cool story :0)

I had to wait for my Planer3 too. Back then you had to wait for all Rega products, even if you lived in the UK! They couldn't make them fast enough.

There aren't many things I regret selling but I do regret selling my rosewood Linn Kans. They were lovely and are very rare now. I still have my original rosewood LP12 but my son uses it these days as the other LP12 I have sounds better!

I loved my Planer3 so much I bought another one years later just to have one in the house! ;0) It's a perfect piece of design in my opinion. In fact the RB300 is my all-time favourite Hi-Fi product. It is a work of genius. I had a very rare cut-away RB300 until a few weeks ago. Rega made them for their dealers, I don't know how many were made but it wasn't a lot. It was a really cool thing to have but I gave it to Johnny at Audio Origami because I knew he'd always wanted one. He's a lovely guy and I know he'll enjoy it.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

hey
yours is a very nice story as well . never own a linn lp12 but i remember back in the day a buddy had one and it was that $1000 good as gold that made me buy the heybrook.
it was $700 and about $300 for the rb300 which in 83 was $5000 now.
audio has been my #1 hobby of hobbys and i have really been around the block with gear.
many preamps many amps and speakers well over 170 pairs.
i build speakers diy since 1981 . everything from small 2 ways to 7 ft line arrays. many 2 way versions from sealed to transmission line. it's a tl speaker i love the most. in fact my newest speaker project i'm working on is a 3 way mtm tl with 4 6" woofers mid & tweeter.
so tonite as it is 8:45 pm here on the east coast of canada as i'm working on the tonearm, it really hit me how much else i have changed but the heybrook and rb300 hve remained.
am i right in thinking that the heybrook was a english design as rega? if so thank you england for the memories.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yes, Heybrook were an English company who made a lot of well respected and loved equipment. Their HB1, 2 and 3 speakers were popular, my son has a pair of HB1s actually.

Those were the golden days when there were lots of nice turntables to choose from and magazines were full of reviews, adverts and pictures of them every month. The TT2 was considered an 'also-ran' relative to the LP12 but in those days the bias of the press towards the Linn was so complete that everything was. The truth is that most of the good mid-range decks, I include the LP12 in that category, have merits and weaknesses and there isn't a clear winner. If you've built your system to fit one turntable you're probably not going to get on as well with another.

The TT2 is a three-point suspended deck which is like a cross between an LP12 and an AR turntable. One distinguishing feature is that it's very heavily built. The build quality is high and certainly up with the Linn, Logic, AR etc. I expect that whether it sounds better than an LP12 will be down to which deck is set up the best as in quality terms I doubt there's much in it.

I use Linn Isobarik speakers, yes, rosewood ones! ;0) I have used classic Linn speaker, Kans, Saras Isobariks, for over twenty-years. I've tried and heard my other speakers in that time but I haven't heard anything I'd rather have. They are not very neutral speakers and not without compromises but they play music. Building speakers sounds like fun! When you consider how much of the cost is in the cabinet it seems likely that you could build very high quality speakers for relatively little cost. Any pictures? :0)
Old 19th January 2013, 08:49 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Any chance of using the wire being removed as a 'pull' to thread in either the new wires or a pull line like fishing line? That would simplify the new install .

G
Old 19th January 2013, 08:55 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
Any chance of using the wire being removed as a 'pull' to thread in either the new wires or a pull line like fishing line?
Of course. Just solder all of he new wires onto the end of the old ones and pull through. Nice and gently.

Remember to leave slack inside the arm-tube where the wire inters it so that you do not impede the movement of the arm. It's very easy to pull the wires tight when messing about with them at the base of the pillar, where the bung/plug is.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

guys here is where i stand so far on my rewire project.

[http://Click the image to open in full size.

http://Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by GKF; 20th January 2013 at 11:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!