turntable help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
newbie here,hope I am in the right place. I just got a fairly good deal on a Yamaha RX A1020 and a pair of Wharfedale Onyx 300 speakers !
I am having a hard time trying to figure out how high end I have to go to get a turntable that will compliment the system,and also what cartridge ! so many choices!
any help would be much appreciated

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Set a budget first and also provide us with some detail about the amplifier - does it for example have a phono input and if so MM or MM/MC type cartridges are supported?

If it does not have a phono input and many newer amps from the majors don't then you will need to set a budget for that as well.

Yamaha amps typically sound quite laid-back, their AV amps even more so. I have one and I'm not a huge fan of it. The speakers I don't know at all. Wharfdale are usually on the warmer side, sometimes a bit dull, but I don't know this particular speaker so who knows.

If you want a decent turntable you'll not go wrong with a Rega. Solidly made, simple and great sounding. ProJect are not far behind but the build quality and reliability are not quite up with Rega in my opinion. Any Rega or Project deck will be a decent match but the better the better! Don't go daft though as I doubt if that amp is up to doing justice to a grands worth of turntable.

Many mid-priced and budget turntables come with a cartridge. I'd just run it with that and see where you are. Then, at a later date, you'll have a reference point from which to move on from and and idea of what direction you want to go.

The Yamaha rx a1020 is a 7 channel receiver!
I am just using the two wharfedale onyx 300 as stereo! not interested in surround Yes the receiver has phono input and MM support
I don't want to go to high on the price for a turntable, in around 4 to 5 hundred? It is the cartridge that has me wondering,this " note from the "Crutchfield site"

(the precision with which this device does its job affects the sound quality of vinyl playback perhaps more than any other component.the cartridge supplied with most turntables provides adequate performance for the casual listener, but serious music lovers should probably consider upgrading to a better model)
better model?? (grin) Ok, which one?????

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't buy a turntable and cartridge from Crutchfield!

Take a look instead at the entry level models offered by Needle Doctor and Elusivedisc. These tables usually come with a decent, not great starter cartridge, get acquainted with vinyl playback and upgrade at a later date.

I'd look at Project, Music Hall and Rega..

Budget Turntables

Music Hall-Elusive Disc

Other possible options would include a good used Thorens, AR, Rega or similar.

Avoid USB tables as they generally are a bit of a compromise due to the inclusion of additional electronics in what is a budget item.

What help?

I guess it all depends. I have a DIY plinth/ Sugden BD-1/ DIY tonearm that I have way less than $100 into. Add whatever budget cart that floats your boat (I like Grados), and you're done. This does require some planning.

Uturn Audio is using Kickstart to fund their $150 turntable that should at least be competent.

After that, the Pro-jects, and Music Hall MMF series (both made in the same plant AFAIK), then the Rega RP-1($450 or so).

ordered the following
Thorens TD235
Operation semi-automatic
Tonearm THORENS TP 19-1
Pick-up Cartridge AT-95E
Automatic Shut-off opto-electronically
would have liked to run a manual,but scared of falling asleep or being somwhere else and forgetting (i am getting older,grin) went alittle higher on the price, but Ahhhh, Usually the way No?? Anxious for arrival, Thanks for the help,
let you know what I think after I am up and running

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.