Great entry table Technics SL-220: upgrade paths?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scored a good condition 220 locally for $20 and, after a speed pot cleaning and new belt, she’s up and soundin’ sweet!

Technics SL-220 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
and
Technics SL-220 checklist? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
I’ve gathered some info:

Plastic but TNRC (Technics non-resonant compound)
FG Servo DC motor (less hum)
Similar arm to SL-1200 (same/similar geometry, armtube and headshell and good bearings)

To make servicing even easier, the service manual is available at Vinyl Engine!
Technics SL-220 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Here are the specs from the manual:

SL-220 specs.jpg

A few cartridges were mentioned:

Grado Prestige line ($80-250)
Audio-Technica AT440MLa ($170), AT120E/t ($100), AT13E2 ($60)
Ortofon FF15E MKII ($)
Shure M91ED ($70) and Shure M97xe ($90)

A good first upgrade would be the cartridge--it came with a Stanton L720.
I’m new to vinyl: how do I match the cart to the arm?

One guy says that the SL-220/230 “works especially well with Grado cartridges. The FG servo DC motor doesn't induce hum and the arm's effective mass is a good match to the compliance of the Grado Prestige line.”

The SL-220 arm is 230mm and 13g. The manual suggests a cart between 5.5 and 8.5g. The Grado Green/Black1 and Red/Blue1 have a weight of 5.5g and a compliance of 20. Is there more to 'compliance' than this?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
Those Technics speed control pots seem to always be flaky. I wonder if it has DC going through it or what. I can imagine making a "lightspeed" type LED/CDS cell speed control circuit to replace the pot, but I wonder about drift.

I have a SL-1300 (either a thrift store or yard sale buy, it's been so long I forget which) with an AT440MLa that I like. I also have a Grado Blue and I like the AT MUCH better. Amazon had it on sale a couple years ago for $99 which was a bargain.

The compliance is "springiness" of the stylus assembly. It and the effective mass of the tonearm/cartridge combination determine the resonant frequency of the cartridge-arm system. 10Hz is supposed to be ideal. This resonance gets activated anytime there's a bump or sharp warp in the record, so it's mainly a problem with non-flat records.

Here's the specs for the Red Ed Elliptical

Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz±3dB
Channel Balance 2dB @ 1kHz
Channel Separation 20dB @ 1kHz
Sensitivity 5mV±2dB, 1kHz @ 5 cm/sec
Static Compliance 16mm/N
Equivalent tip mass 0.7 mg
Vertical Tracking Angle 26°
Stylus Radius Elliptical .007X.003
Load Resistance 47,000 Ohm
Cartridge Weight 4.2g

The SL-220 arm is 230mm and 13g. The manual suggests a cart between 5.5 and 8.5g

The Red Ed is 4.2g is that too light? Does the Red Ed Static Compliance of 16mm/N play into this?

I can't find the weight of the at92ecd?!?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Hi,

Both will be fine with your arm, but the RedEd's will match a little better.

Basically you add cartridge mass to the arm effective mass and this
number combined with the cartridge compliance determines the
resonant frequency of the arm/cartridge, should be ~ 10Hz.

The technics arm with original headshell is quite lightweight, compared
to other similar looking arms, and worth $20 on its own, compared to
similar looking others, its not too bad in absolute terms, in fact the
nice original headshell is worth around $20 on its own.

rgds, sreten.

Basically you add cartridge mass to the arm effective mass and this
number combined with the cartridge compliance determines the
resonant frequency of the arm/cartridge, should be ~ 10Hz.

Hi Sreten, thanks you've put me on a little journey!

I made a spreadsheet to calc resonant frequency (of a few carts I'm considering: Red Ed, M97eX, AT440MLa, 2M Red, Grado[green, black, red, blue], and the OM5E+stylus10 that I have):

Fr calc w a few carts.png

View attachment Turntable compliance calculator.zip

The SL-220 arm is 230mm and 13g. The manual suggests a cart between 5.5 and 8.5g. Headshell = 9g , Arm = 13 - 9 = 4 g

The resonant frequency:

Fr= 1000 / [2 pi * sqrt(M * C)]

where, pi = 3.14 (approx), M = total effective mass in gm of the arm plus cartridge, and C = compliance of the cartridge in um/mN (um is micrometer and mN is milliNewton; um/MN is the same unit as micro cm/Dyne).

I understand I should aim for about 10 Hz (between the audio 20 Hz and the resonant freq of the turntable suspension ~1 Hz). I was using 16 as the compliance before (which gave close to 10 Hz!) then I realized I have to use the dynamic compliance not the static compliance. I emailed Ed (what a fascinating guy!) and he said:

They do not list the dynamic. That is not really a meaningful spec. It would be around 25 however.

So with the dynamic compliance of 25, the resonant freq is 7.7Hz
A little less than the 'ideal' 10Hz.

Hmmm ...

Thanks for the help,
Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.