Turntable - Getting Started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a decent turntable, nothing too outrageous. Just a simple but good quality turntable. I have a wood and frosted glass design in mind that I think would look great.

I could buy a REGA RP1 for about $400 so I'm hoping to build a table of at least the same quality for roughly the same price. I'm willing to spend a little more for a better cartridge since I would do that anyways.

One of my criteria is a speed switch to adjust between 33/45. Or at the very least have the motor in the corner like the pro-ject rpm's so I don't need to remove the platter to move the belt.

My design is just a solid plinth with a floating(?) platter. Like the Rega RP's or Pro-Ject Debut tables.

So that brings me to the question of parts. Would I be better off just buying a motor, bearing, platter... Etc from Rega or Pro-Ject and essentially just build the plinth. Or is there a cheaper, just as high quality (or higher quality but similarly priced) way to build or buy these parts?

Also how is glass in audio components? Or should I substitute it for acrylic or plexiglass. Something similar but less resonant?

As for the tone arm I haven't looked into them much but it sounds like they aren't too complicated to build so I'll probably go that route.

Sounds like you would be better off just buying a used one.
Check Ebay for a good used one. VPI or SOTA, etc.
You,ll get better sound overall unless you think you can better proven designs
Building is more fun of course, but a man needs to know his limitations

I already own a record player that's okay. But I figured if I was going to spend $500 anyways, I might as well build it and have something more personal. It's something I enjoy doing anyways.

In the $500 range I'm obviously not going to get the best sound or anywhere near. And I won't be buying custom Teres platters or motors or anything. But I figure I should be able to build something similar in sound quality to a Rega RP1 and add a speed switch.

But what you said about buying an old turntable on ebay was something I was going to ask about. Is there an old table with a good motor and speed controls that I could buy cheap and use those parts?

VPI sold alot of upgrades with speed controllers, nice dead combination lead/acrylic/alum. platters with clean bearing designs, outer clamping rings etc. that appear quite often on Audiogon Ebay
You have to consider ratio of motor speed to spindle dia. Platter dia.
Theres not a simple answer, will your belt go around the outside or under a smaller sub platter ala AR Ariston, linn?

Don't worry I'm not looking for a simple answer. I'm looking for options. I need a motor to start with then from there I'll figure out what I can accomplish in terms of the variables you mentioned.

There are a couple of old Idler Drive tables for sale locally. I can't find tons of info on Idler drives but what I can find sounds quite favourable. Does anyone have experience with Idler Drives?

Building a turntable from scratch should be quite easy. Figuring out why it doesn't sound very good when you're finished is the hard part!

Making things yourself is good fun and can give you good performance for little outlay but it's not always simple. Turntable might look simple, and in many ways they are, but each design is a carefully chosen set of compromises. Yes, you could buy a motor, bearing etc but there's no guarantee it's going to sound any good when it's done. For example, you'll notice that Rega turntables do not have heavy platters, relatively speaking that is. That's part of the design and the bearing isn't designed to take a heavy platter. Use one on a Rega bearing and it'll sound rubbish and you'll wreck the bearing.

And Rega have been continually working towards lighter plinth designs without compromising the rigidity. Again, their other components are designed and voiced to work in that environment. If you put Rega parts in a heavy, solid plinth it may not sound brilliant.

Not saying don't do it. Just take your time, and if you're thinking about doing something different, make sure you understand why the manufacturer hasn't done it that way before you go ahead!

Thanks a lot MrPig that's exactly the kind of information I'm after.

It looks like I'm going to pick up an old Elac Miracord III with an Idler Drive. From my limited research idler drives are able hold heavier platters and have good speed consistency. My plan is to use that as my starting point.

Can anyone recommend a suitable platter weight and material? I'm assuming something with less resonance would be better since the motor connects directly to the platter?

Can anyone recommend a suitable platter weight and material?

You're going to make a platter? I'm impressed.

Have you heard a lot of different turntable designs? They vary a heck of a lot in the way they sound and if you could listen to a lot of different approaches it might give you an idea of what sort of direction you want to go in. For example, I've never heard a turntable with a very heavy, very damped platter that I liked. They all sounded too dead and lifeless to me. But the point is that some people love them, we all have different tastes, and what you like is all that matters.

Not all direct or idler drives have really heavy platters. A lot will depend on how quiet your motor/idler assembly is and how good your bearing is. A heavy platter might damp motor noise but it will also put more strain on the bearing making it more likely to be noisy and to wear faster.

Just to pick up on what you said about using wood for the plinth. It's very unusual for solid wood to be used as a plinth material. The main reason is instability. Wood tends to shrink, expand, twist or any combination of the above over time. If you do use solid wood try to use a hardwood and a bit of wood that's been around for a long time so has stabilised. Even then, if it has been in a very different environment from your living room it could still warp.

Another reason is that I don't know that it sounds that good. Wood tends to be quite resonant. A wood veneer or laminate might sound better?

What were you thinking of doing with the glass?

Unfortunately I drilled the hole for the spindle a mm to big. So it has a rather big wobble.

Still played though, albeit with inconsistent speed! Relegated to the trials cupboard for now. Although I may turn a new insert to ensure its centre this time.

String thread worked great.

You're going to make a platter? I'm impressed.

If I'm going to do it I might as well do it right. Although I'll probably get it CNC'd since I don't have a Lathe anymore.

Have you heard a lot of different turntable designs?

This is a good point and something I didn't really think about. I just assumed a heavier platter would be more stable and the less resonance the better. As it is I've only ever really listened to two turntables on good systems. So the answer is no.

I'll probably just go with a more traditional sized platter. 1"-1.5" or so to start with.

Just to pick up on what you said about using wood for the plinth. It's very unusual for solid wood to be used as a plinth material. The main reason is instability. Wood tends to shrink, expand, twist or any combination of the above over time. If you do use solid wood try to use a hardwood and a bit of wood that's been around for a long time so has stabilised. Even then, if it has been in a very different environment from your living room it could still warp.

Another reason is that I don't know that it sounds that good. Wood tends to be quite resonant. A wood veneer or laminate might sound better?

I was wondering about that. I have seen a few builds use MDF or plywood laminated together. But wasn't sure about real wood.

Perhaps someone who has tried building a table out of wood could jump in here?

What were you thinking of doing with the glass?

Essentially I want to build the plinth out of two different interchanging kinds of wood (so it looks striped) and inlay a piece of (mostly) frosted glass on the top. The motor would come up through both and the platter which would probably be acrylic to match the frosted glass would be above like normal. That's basically it.

Great looking table Studio Au, bummer about the wobble. Don't mind if I learn from your mistakes I hope. I'll try to make sure I get the rights sized spindle hole.

Most turntables have a geared system with an outboard motor, and string or tread turning the plater. Stops the vibrations coming through. So are you looking at direct drive?

Yes I'm looking at direct drive. With an Idler Drive motor. I understand there have been some hybrids in the past, idler motors with bands. But I want to try a direct drive, as all I've had all my live have been AC motors with bands. It's not a great turntable but even after having it professionally set up and replaced the band I've still noticed the occasional slush (I believe that's the correct terminology). So I would like to try a direct drive as comparison.

Thanks Tabarddn, I'll look into his kits. I think I want to try doing it myself first but it's good to have that option.

If I'm going to do it I might as well do it right. Although I'll probably get it CNC'd since I don't have a Lathe any more.

Like I say, impressive. Most people just use the platter off a donor deck. I think getting it centric and balanced might be harder than you think but by the sounds of it you've got some engineering skill so maybe not?

I just assumed a heavier platter would be more stable and the less resonance the better.

That's the thing, better is subjective. There is no absolute better in Hi-Fi. Most things are a trade-off. As you start to 'damp' stuff you can remove 'colouration' but also all the life and energy with it.

Essentially I want to build the plinth out of two different interchanging kinds of wood (so it looks striped) and inlay a piece of (mostly) frosted glass on the top.

Sounds interesting. Glass will be a tricky material for the top-plate though. Do you have someone who can machine it? You'll need a hole for the motor and the bearing at least. What about the arm? If you mount the arm directly to it you'll need a hole for that too and you're then stuck with that geometry unless you want to make a new top-plate. Where is the power switch going to go?

My experience of trying to get glass cut very precisely is not good. Most glaziers are used to cutting glass for windows, were a millimetre or two here and there doesn't matter that much. They start sweating when you want holes exact sizes in exact places. Then they muck it up!

An alternative might be acrylic. You can drill that yourself and it's far less resonant than glass. You can get it in lots of different thickness's and colours.

A laminate of different woods is a good idea. It'll be stronger and more stable. I've seen laminate platters too.

Were you planning on a dust cover? Have you got an arm in mind?

I don't think I've heard the term "slush" before. As a point of reference, we need to know what turntable you have now.:)

jeff

Hello fellow Victorian,

I came across that term on some Vinyl forum while researching different drive methods.

It's a Pioneer PL-12D with an Ortofon RED. I'm sure a much better belt turntable wouldn't have much, if any of it. But like I said I would like to try a direct drive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.